Question Simple lighting question?

Thought I new this but...is this the proper flow of lighting?

NO..VHO..PC..Halides

It all depends on what you want to keep in your tank. I upgraded my lighting three times last year alone. Started with just regular normal outputs, then went to power compact, and then fianlly added 400w of vho's to the power compacts. Money can be the deciding factor in setting up a tank, but I think that lighting, circulation/filtration, and a skimmer are some of the areas where you should not skimp on quality. It would have been cheaper for me to buy my current lighing setup in the beginning instead of messing around with it like I did. But I guess hind sight is always perfect vision.

johnmorris...my post was a little vague, basicaly what I was asking was whether pc was better than vho or vice versa.

from your post now, do you add vho to pc hood or do you have to change the ballast, or is a whole new unit needed?

What I did since my tank is 48" long was when I bought my Power compact lighting I bought two 24" coralife 65w hoods (complete set up). Then aquamann was selling off his equipment and he had a good deal on a 36" VHO cooltouche hood (complete setup). So I then built a custom hood incorporating the teo set ups. I just staggered the 36" VHO's. Doing it this way I was able to use all of each lighting setup except for their canopies. Works well so far. Its about 8" off of the surface of the tank and uses 2 computer fans to cool the inside of the canopy and water surface. Hope this helps a bit. Good luck with it.