Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MH LIGHTING, How many k's

I just wanted to know if i should go with a 400w 20k or14k mh bulb on my 90g reef tank that i am currently nearing the end of my cycling process

depends what colours you want, i prefer the pfo 10k theen adding the blue with actinics
    We need more Indians!

I have to say that i love the blue hue, but i read somewhere but don't remember where that a 20k bulb makes the colors stand out but doesn't make corals grow very well

i'm not certain about that, imo the 20k is too blue
    We need more Indians!

Its your decision, if you do a search on this site or reef central there are a few threads where they compare the 10k, 20, 14k bulbs (as wellas different makes they are all slightly diff colours)with pics. That way you can decide which would suit your needs.
    We need more Indians!

I have heard about slow growth with a high K bulb (say 20K) as compared to a lower K bulb (say 10K) as well. Ivan seels the ARC bulbs which up to now ill say are pretty good. I have a 175W 14K and the blue is perfect for my taste, its not too white, its not too blue plus I supplement with actinics cause as the bulb burns in, the blue will slowly starts to fade leaving the bulb almost only white, at that point the supplemented actinics will give the blue that I need for my taste.

AK
    20G Reef Tank (Starting again...)

The higher the K, the less PAR (photosyntheticly avalible radiation) which equals less growth. You can still get good coloration with 10K bulbs, but they just won't "pop out" as a 20K bulb.

Colby
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"

13k pfo for me.
    imo they are the best looking blue-ish white bulb.
    Newbie in training

I had 400w 14k bulbs and was get very little growth, colors looked great. I had a friend from down south see the tank and she said it didn't look natural, its look like very dim day. I changed to 400 10k and no atinics, looks great and even in a short time my corals looks great, growth has been amazing and everything is a little fuzzier (sps).

It's not the blue in the MH bulbs that make the corals flouresce. For that you need "true actinic" lighting which is 420nm. I used to use 20k 400w MH bulbs exclusively and now use 20k bulbs. There was no difference in growth speed however, every bulb has it's characteristics and the "look" of your corals will change. What is pleasing to you is a very personal opinion. Everyone has a different one. I also find looking at pictures to compare bulbs very deceiving because so much depends on how that shot will look. I have seen many tanks in person and when I see pics of that same tank, it always looks different. Nothing beats seeing bulbs on a tank in person to see how they look. The only true way of finding your bulb is to try different ones IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast