Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Power Bars Failing??

came home to a dead tank? checked all breakers and they were on. checked power bars and the first one in line that has the other 3 power bars hooked into it had jumped. Changed bar and the next one did the same. nothing has really changed in the last few weeks. why now are the bars tripping but not the breakers?? I do have a fairly heavy load on them and there cheap power bars. I'm having new circuits installed but this won't happen for a few months. I took a few things and put them on another outlet temporarily. any ideas??

Same as anything johnny, You get what you pay for
    We need more Indians!

John,
    I would say you answered your own questions!! By the way, you should never be adding powerbars to other powerbars!!

Cool

what would I do then as I need at least 20 spots. some transformers and timers take up to much room thats why I was daisy chaining. Its tempory but its all I got for now. do I need better power bars to get me thru this next few months?? I have to catch up on other bills before I hire the electrician.

Johnny...I used Computer power bars...I payed about 30$ each but they are loaded..I have a dual 250w MH lights,Rio 3100,2 power heads(ehehe on a 3 in 1 plug)my 18watt UV light,and one of my monitors connected to it....THATS JUST ONE BAR...It is heavily loaded.....Ive always loaded those power bars like that and never ever once they popped.......I had the cheap ones before at 5-10$ and I didnt want to take a chance of them popping when im gone.....
    Derik...

Can you maybe run an extension from other plugs in the house that comes from different breakers...and add another power bar to that...its just temporary anyways
    Derik...

Johnny .. if they are the ones with the built in breaker and you have 3 other power bars plugged into it it could just be tripping its own fuse. I doubt they take a FULL 15 amps because they are designed to trip instead of tripping the breaker in the box. Many run at 13 or 14 amps max load
    Rob

how much will the electrician charge for the new line?

Johnny, like OSD said its just the powerbar tripping its own built in fuse. Some of these cheap powerbars use realitively low amperage fuses in comparision to what they are rated to handle. A good power bar to get is one desgined for use with home enterainment systems. They're of the side by side plug variety. Some high end models have up to 12 outlets on a single bar. These units come with replaceable fuses or trip breakers. Not sure on the brand name. Just a reminder though to be careful not to exceed the service of the feed to the outlet in the wall. For the 125 we're setting up in your new house I'm installing a 30amp service line and 4 groundfault outlets off of that for the tank equipment. Good luck with it. I'll look through some of the electrical supply catalouges onboard the boat here tonight while on watch so I can give you an idea of brandnmae, cost, service rating, and where you can get them.

thanks for the help guys. I was trying to avoid coin in this department as I will be having the seperate circuits installed shortly afte rthe holidays. Its just strange that there acting up now. No biggy, I'll pick up a few better ones and run an extention to another circuit for now. I've come along way since AUG setup so this is just a little bump. Nothing ''died'' in my tank and it must have been off for only an hour or so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast