Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sumpless Tanks...

Whats everyones thoughts on a sumpless tank? Other than the obvious..eg, place to hit equipment, adding chems etc.

I'm looking at upgrading to a 90gal and within the last year have purchased a h.o.t. skimmer and fuge, and countless other equipment I've investing in the last year which I know if I were to install a sump I'd never get my money out of the equipment. If anything I may need to upgrade the skimmer.

My current tank has been successful without a sump, I don't plan on keeping sps. In fact, the reason for upgrade is to increase the amount of fish, not necessarily coral. Also, I don't mind a couple powerheads in the tank. Given that I live in a condo, any flood whatsover would be complete disaster. I'm thinking that the chances of a flood with a sump are minimal. ..it may not be worth taking a chance as the water would have no place to go but down....affecting not only my unit, but others.

Anyways, I'm thinking I can fun a tank successfully without a sump.Your thoughts are appreciated.

Jaret.
    45 Gallon
    x2 96WPC Lights, x2 9W over CPR fuge, x1 36W T5 Actinic
    Remora C skimmer, Ehiem Cannister
    Solon Wrasse,Yellow Tang, Clarkii Clown, Blue Neon Goby, Mandarin
    Assorted Zoo's,Shrooms,Rics, LPS

Sure you can run a tank without a sump... Myself and many other did it for years before sumps became popular. Sumps are really the end result of wet/dry filters. When wet/dry filters with DLS material, bio balls, bio blocks etc hit the main stream you HAD to drill the tank .. and put in an overflow box so you could direct the water over the media in the wet/dry filter. If you didn't do this it was just a wet filter and the dry cycle of the filter is what made it work sooo well. It was not long before people started "hiding" their equipment in that remote wet/dry filter and it pretty much graduated into a "sump" / wet / dry filter. Now that wet / dry filters are no longer considered the way to go we are left with just the sump which soon became a sump / refuge. So I guess we have come near full circle. Going from all wet media to wet/dry media and now back to all wet media. Being that this is the case ... If you don't mind seeing the equipment in the display setup ... go ahead and skip the sump if you like. It will work .. and work fine.
    rob

thanks for the encouragement OSD...

I feel I can be sucessful without a sump even with a larger tank (90gal).At this point, everyone is warning me against going sumpless...but I think I'll give it a go without and see what happens.
    45 Gallon
    x2 96WPC Lights, x2 9W over CPR fuge, x1 36W T5 Actinic
    Remora C skimmer, Ehiem Cannister
    Solon Wrasse,Yellow Tang, Clarkii Clown, Blue Neon Goby, Mandarin
    Assorted Zoo's,Shrooms,Rics, LPS

At one point in the past people were putting false backs in their tanks and hiding their equipment behind that false back. A power head was used to direct water out from behind this false wall and that caused water to enter this hidden area through a group of holes that were too small for fish and most other things to get through.
    You might however be wise to drill your tank now and cap the hole in case you get tired of looking at the equipment in the tank.
    Rob

Im going to be running a 75 gallon sumpless for now. I wonder how long Ill last before I "expand" the system! Should I spend 100 bucks more and get a predrilled tank?
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

Depends on the # of holes you get for that 100 dollars? Call the local glass shops and see what they charge for holes and then decide if you will buy drilled or drill after you get it. I do strongly suggest you get or have it drilled for future use.
    Rob

Im prety sure its drilled and it even has an overflow box, probably worth it eh?

For an extra $100 .. factory made ... IMO ... yes.
    Rob

Advice apreciated

Cool

I would never go sumpless again. I had my 65g sumpless. besides the million other advantages its added water volume which would also help in filtration/dilution of your bioload. I'm a irm believer of not adding chemicals straight into the tank. I like them broken down first, also, I've yet to see a HOB skimmer that didn't put micro bubbles into a tank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast