Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 75 gallon

75 gallon

Well Im prety stoked, Im going to be getting a 75 gallon from big als in Richmond on monday to come. Sound like I might even be a ble to get the boxing day deal of 139.99. I wont need to upgrade my lighting as 400w mh 6500k should be good for this tank. I also have 2 philips atinic that are normal output I believe. I do want to beaf up on actinic but dont know how or what? I should also get a pump. Just get more ciculation than a couple of powerheads and a fluval 403. Ill be checking out J&L aquatics they might have a better deal on a pump than big als? I dont know exactly how much flow I should ultimatly be having for SPS garden. I plan to skim with my Air pump, wood air stone operated, in tank Sanders Skimmer, I think thats the brand?? Ive had great results with this little finicky but good skiming machine. Ill upgrade to an aerofoamer 830 when I have a bigger system. Ill also use all the aragonite I baught for my last tank(50 gal) which was a DSB, so now ill have a not as deap sand bed NSDSB Any answers or input apreciated. Cheers.

Could anybody please help me with the following questions.

How many GPH of flow do I want in my 75 gallon if Ill be keeping mostly SPS?

What are some options for upgrading my actinic lighting?

Thanks
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

Since no-one has answered yet, i'll start things off. I just up-graded to a 75G (also bought at Big Als) from a 29G. A few comments:

1) 75G tanks need two MH bulbs for proper coverage. I got 250W but 400W should be OK. If you only have one bulb, that will be a problem to get good lighting for the whole tank.

2) If you can do it, get the tank drilled for a sump. You may not install a sump at this point (just cap the bulkheads) but, having it drilled will help in the long run. (I didn't follow my own advice, for complex reasons, and wish I had :-()

3) I am planning to have a Mag 9.5 as the sump return (about 700GPH in flow) and am thinking about adding another 700GPH in a closed loop. The recommendation is at least 10X turn-over for flow but many people keeping SPS are going higher 20-40X.

4) I run an actinic VHO powered by a Workhorse 7 ballast. These are relatively cheep (about $50-60) and work well. However, you do need to connect all the wiring yourself.

5) When I was getting ready to move my stock to the new tank, I read a lot about moving sand beds. The general consensus was that moving the whole sand bed wasn't a good idea since it would release a lot of stored toxins and cause a cycle. I moved my LR, put in new sand and then transfered 4-5 cups of the old sand to seed the new bed. Didn't get any cyclce (ammonia, nitrites are 0 and nitrates are <1.).
    Nick

You dont really need Mh's even if you have corals......ALOT better and the view is awsome but vho can be very good too.....I bought a triple halide kit and just for one dual ballast it was 240 i think plus 45$ each for 2 reflector plus 114 each bubls from ivan..then you are all set
    Derik...

Thanks Nick and Volitan.
    Well I thaught I might get to this. So now Im going to have to get an other 400 hundred and after I might as well get a 120 gallon then Ill also need the aerofoamer 830... Man I wish I could afford all that in the near future, I realy cant though... Your making me think I might even down size to a 3' tank(55 gal), and not have to upgrade on my lighting right away...

Well Im realy glad I asked. Many important factors to consider...

As for the workhorse 7, Ive read about them being an efficient way to go. I might ask you where you baught yours?

BTW my sand bed has been out of the tank for over a year now, took old reef down for big move. Pictures of it are in the photography forum under the tittle "Pictures of old reef..."

Ill have to find a way to clean up the aragonite, any ideas?

Ill probably take everyones advice to get it drilled for the future!

Thanks again for the advice.

the workhorse ivan sells them here for 49.99 each
    Derik...

I bought my WH7 from Ivan here at AC. Each WH7 can power 2x110W VHO bulbs. So, rather than investing in a new MH, you could follow Voitan's suiggestion and get a WH7 and put up 220W of VHO lighting. You could also install the 400WMH on one side of the tank. It would be a bit imbalanced but would give one side which had stronger light for SPS.
    Nick

Hey! Thats not a bad idea. Might look a bit silly for a while but who cares. Ill have to get in touch with IJO about that..
    Thanks.

i dont think it would look that odd either
    Derik...

Pat, all the advice here is excellant. I think the one bright side might look pretty cool. If you don't want to drill this tank, you could always plan to drill the future 120 and use this current tank as the sump. (you KNOW it'll happen!!)
    The wh7 is a great idea for actinics. and maybe 2 of them would be better- to have a pair of whites to light the dim side of the tank.
    You could probably just rinse out the gravel and reuse it, but if you want you could wash it with a little vinager to dissolve the top layer, then rinse it.
    you could get a bunch of powerheads and put them on individual timers (or in pairs) and set them randomly for flow. I think that many smaller pumps is better than one big one for sps, this makes the currents more irregular which the sps like.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast