Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    no..., still

Cool

actually many people still use the IWASAKIS and they can be used on both a standard tar or the mercury ''eye'' ballast. but,,, they need a TON of actinic for good viewing. there very bright though and some love that look.

yes, as Johnny mentioned.., many people use the Iwasaki's but what I meant was you shouldn't use the "other" MV bulbs your asking about. The Iwasaki's are particular and other MV bulbs wouldn't be good on a tank.

I used to use Iwasakis on my old set up- they gave me great colour and growth- I used a s--t load of actinic with them. Great bulb is you can live with the colour. I got cought up in the higher 'k' stampede and never went back to the iwasaki.
    Still, I think they give the biggest bang for the buck.
    But stay away from other m.v. bulbs unless you want to run a freshwater tank or use it over a sump with mangroves
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

I LOVED the color that I got out of my MV Iwasaki 6500k. I plan to use them on my new set up. I would tell you that personaly being a SUN ADDICT I find this bulb the most satisfying to the eye, all the other bulbs seem too dark to me, also as reefmutt said, your corals will love!!! If your having a MV ballast and you dont want to spend that much $$$ just get the bulb and hook it up!
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

Funny, the spectrum above shows a lot of "actinic" radiation (between 400 and 450 nm). Since reefers using Iwasaki bulbs say that they need to suppliment with actinic fluorescents, I guess these MH do not have this spectrum. BTW, MV without a glass outer jacket have a lot of eye damaging UV radiation (at 365 nm). I would guess the Iwaski does have an outer jacket (not a DE bulb).

-40dB
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

yes the iwasakis have a lot of actinic (420nm), they also have a lot of red and yellow- which over power the dimmer blue spectrum, giving the bulb a yellow look. The addition of actinic to the iwasakis isn't because they lack it, it is to make the blue stronger and thus the light more pleasing to the eye
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Sorry,
    After rereading my last post, it looks like I stated that even the Iwasaki's should not be used. Those particular ones are perfectly fine to use, but as many mentioned, they give a very yellow light. This tends to make most corals be brownish or greenish in color. I too used to use them, but have since changed quite awhile ago. It is also a myth that this bulb makes corals grow faster than most others. Myself, along with many others I know have used them and other types of bulbs and the growth never changed because of it. Bottomline is that while the lighting "does" play some importance to coral growth, a proper running tank ( as in parameters, stability, filtration,water quality, etc...) is what makes the biggest difference.

Im not sure, but would STRONGLY speculate that if a particular corals' ORIGINAL location is near the SURFACE of the ocean then theres a strong chance it will do better for growth under the IWASAKI 6500K. An other coral found DEEPER in the ocean might thrive under a 20K. It must depend on the coral, surely some prefer 6500K.

As for color, some of the ACROS I kept in the past developed crazy beautiful coloration from brown (when I first got them) under the 6500k.

I havent kept that many corals but this was my experience.

I agree with you that there are other equaly important parameters to keep in mind,"( stability, filtration,water quality, etc...)" and to that list I would also add, what corals your keeping together in the same water. Surely that can afect weather or not a coral thrives.
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12