Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red sea salt

Red sea salt

Hi everybody,

Is Red sea salt OK compare to IO. Just picked up two pails at Big Al's during boxing day sale since it was at a good price.

Have any one used it ?

thanks guys.

I also picked up 2 pails at Big Al's.
    I too hope it's ok.....

I would expand the question to include is it ok with mix with water that used Instant Ocean?
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

I've been using Red Sea on my 29 Gal with no ill effects. I'm sure there is good and bad testimony available.

I bought some IO for when the Red Sea ran out, but, then I saw the same sale at Big Als. So, my 70 Gal setup will be mostly Red Sea with some IO.

The difference will be in the trace elements mostly (I don't know of any, but, ...).

I haven't seen any issues with precipitation or clowdy water. The calcium levels are good, but, a little low.

- Chris
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

I think people were talking about this a while back. They were saying that it's not really good to switch from one salt to another. But if you were to do it, do it gradually (spelling I think) If you were going to mix up some salt go half with IO and half with Red sea eventually adding more Red sea and less IO down the road. It's should be a very slow process to fully switch salt. If i'm wrong i'm sure some one will give better insight!!! I'm still pretty new at this myself!!!
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

I'm not to sure on the mixing thing but I read that Red Sea Salt is suppose to be one of the best salts for Reef Tanks. it has the most "Natural" trace elements of all salts apparently! If you go to the Red Sea web site you will find some info! I too hav a bucket for my new 75gal. I use IO in my 23gal and 10gal, I use Sea Crystals in my 2.5gal, and I just set up my 50gal with Reef Crystals which is also suppose to be real good for reef tanks! It hasen't been set up long enough for mr to coment on any differences though!!!
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

You can also consider the poll at:
    http://aquariacanada.com/forums/show...&threadid=3417

It shows that Instant Ocean seems to be the most commonly used, but, after that there is no clear pattern.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Seems like many people jumped on the bargain from BA. 8-) I also picked up 2 buckets of Red Sea. Since I am a newbie, it seemed as good as the next brand when I first started my QT. Guess now I'll have to stick with it for a while. ;-)
    Serge

Common Sense - Is'nt!!

I think IO is the most popular because of Price! It's a good quality Salt at a fair price!

By the way, just how cheap did you get the Red Sea Salt for?

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

Umm... If I remember correctly, the original bucket I purchased, 2 months ago, was around 100$ or so. These 2 buckets I purchased last week were 34$ each. Each bucket is good to produced 200 gal., apparently. I was tempted to purchase more but "the boss" objected. 8-)
    Serge

Common Sense - Is'nt!!

That's so depressing!!! I just paid $60 for a bucket and thought I was getting a deal! Do they still have that sale on?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast