Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    liv

my review on AC's new ARC 175w bulbs ( household socket type )

Hi everyone,
    just taught i'd share my findings on the new 175w ( household socket ) metal halides in the 10k, 14k, 20k ranges.

Pro's
    Size: they are smaller in size then the regular ARC bulbs, which could be an advantage in trying to fit them in closer spaces.

Socket: they take a 26b type socket. ( normal household light bulb socket size but the ceramic type ) for high heat applications. These can be found at any hardware stores. they are less expensive the moguls and you can find them everywhere.

Intensity, they are brighter then my previous mogul type ARC and SUN bulbs by a long shot and respectively in the same lighting ranges.

color:
    I was happy to find out that the 10k was not as yellow as the previous one. real glad on this one, but still a hint too much yellow for me. If you had actinic vho's it would be just great. you'd have the intensity of 10k's but with a hint of blue from the vho's.

the 14k is my favorite as it has less blue then my current 20k and 14k's and is much brighter. corals glow, anemone seems just like its glowing.. shrooms and the rest seem to enjoy it.

20k's well.. unless you add some 50/50 vho's or a white vho's .. i think they are just too blue for me, and they are also not as intence as the 14's. but for those looking as making corals glow.. like a uv tube does.. it gives a similar effect.

price: still cheaper then buying pfo's or xm's.

con's:
    If you already have mogul you can either wait on his next batch on simply convert to the smaller socket.

Nice review liv ... I like the new Avatar

liv
    he he thanks..
    so.. how's the nano doing ?

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Just wondering do they work just as well as the Mogul socket lights? Do they last as long? What is the price range as compared to "regular" MH Set-ups? Do these bulbs run off of a Ballast or just a regular ceramic that is plugged directly into the wall? Thank you
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

LIV, how ya doing. question, are you saying that these MH lamps DON'T fit into a MH mogul socket??? those MH sockets are standard for MH lamps. doesn't make sense?? Maybe the way your wording this?? as far as I know all ARC lamps are standard and use mogul sockets.

liv
    Hi Mike,
    they are identical to the regular mogul bulbs.. just different sockets. they still need a ballast and price are identical.. i think they are on sale for 40$ each or similar. ballasts can be purchased on this site ( if you want good electronic ones ) or you can purchase them locally at your electrical supply store and get what they call a TAR ballast.

as for how long they last, should be identical also, about 8-12 months.

Johnny, how you doin buddy !
    the new bulbs do not fit in the mogul socket as they are about twice smaller..
    same thread as a cheap 60w incandescent light.
    the mogul is not the only standard for mh bulbs, just go to reno and look at the types they carry or check out the lumens store, 3/4 of their bulbs are the regular household socket type bulb.

all the street post lights run on mh's or mercury vapors.. and most run on regular sockets.. not moguls... i guess it might depend what application its used for... I have a bunch of mh bulbs here that are regular sized sockets.

hope this clarifies things.. if it does not..
    lemme know.. i'll take some pics.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Don't mean to be a bother but is it possible to take a picture of them?
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

I see, thats a tad strange because in the aquarium hobby almost all MH lamps are made to fit mogul sockets which I believe are m 28's or something like that.That sucks as I wanted to try the ARC lamp but I'm not running out to replace my moguls. I just find it odd as I had try'd one of the ARC lamps and it was a mogul. I wonder if these new ones had a manufactoring error?? Ivan?

Cool

or, are these just another addition or choice for the hobbiest. I was thinking that ALL the new ARC lamps were changed to the smaller socket. hope not.

so do these lights offer the same debth as a regular Mogul based MH would offer. I'm on the hunt for MH's and at the moment this seems like the way to go. I'm seeing alot of positives to these lights and not very many negatives. There got to be some. Do they burn just as hot ????Gee's got to be something!!!LOL I'm wondering why would I got and pay big bucks for the Mogul based sockets and the bulbs to fit them when I can go and buy these ( and the ballast of coarse) and then only pay like half for the bulbs compared to the regular ones. Any info would be good.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast