Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

which sequence pump for closed loop?

which sequence pump for closed loop?
    I have a 225g tank on order that is 72x24x30 and would like to use my mag 18 as a return pump and also set up a closed loop.
    on the the closed loop i would like to have a Oceans Motions 4-way.What pump do you think would be the best one for this application?
    - dart
    -barracuda
    -stingray
    -hammerhead

oh my sump/refuge will be under the tank so only a head of 5ft.

Your tank is the same size and dimensions as my current setup and I also have an Oceans Motions 4-way. i will be using the Dart on my setup. I think it is plenty but if your not in to much of a hurry to buy the pump I hope to have the system running in about 1 week. I will be posting my feelings about this pumps performance in my application as part of my ongoing thread about my tank.
    Rob

Cool

I have the hammerhead on my 500g and its fine, It all depends on the flow you want and corals. I'd use probally the barracuda or stingray myself but I like lots of SPS.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    ON a 225g setup, there's no need for more than what the DART pump can provide.
    I myself am running a DART on my 180g closed loop. Not only is it sufficient, I have it dialed way back...

As my tank's flow needs increase due to coral growth, I can open up the pump more.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

For a closed loop the Dart is the best in relation to power consumption and flow. It will push 3600 gph and consume 160 watts at 0' head. The other pumps are geared to be a pressure pump. With the Hammerhead you can achieve 5800 gph but the power consumption is 395 watts.

The dart is a smaller motor so it will be quieter and also will transfer less heat to the water than the other pumps.
    Hope that helps.
    ________
    Tanks: 400 gal Reef, 180 gal FOWLR, 300 gal Sump, 40 gal Frag Tray plumbed as one system - 900 gal total water volume.
    DIY Calcium Reactor, Nielson Reactor and Skimmer

Cool

awsome, there ya have it.

Reeferboy,
    I know you're supposed to be "the one" to know about these pumps, but the other pumps are in fact rated as a "medium pressure" pump, not a pressure pump and would be fine on a closed loop.

I agree with you, I was just comparing the Hammerhead etc. to the Dart. In which as a generalization the Dart is a High Flow/Low Pressure pump and the Hammerhead, Barracuda, Stingray, Tigershark are a High Flow/High Pressure pump within the Sequence family of products.
    So as far as watts consumed to flow produced the Dart is the most efficient at 0' head.
    ________
    Tanks: 400 gal Reef, 180 gal FOWLR, 300 gal Sump, 40 gal Frag Tray plumbed as one system - 900 gal total water volume.
    DIY Calcium Reactor, Nielson Reactor and Skimmer

I also took into account the cost of operation when coming to my final conclusion to go with the dart. I think the flow rate will be plenty in a 225 when taking into account a second pump that will likely be running a high flow rate from the sump.
    Rob

Great thanks for the reply's,ok if i went with a dart for closed loop what would be a good pump for the sump return.?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast