XM 10,000 K bulb rocks

I have been using 175watt 10,000K Ushio bulbs now for 3 years and have had great sucess with them but after a few months they always would have a slightly hard time firing, and were a little inconsistant sometimes. I did some reading that the Ushio 175 watt bulbs work best on Pulse start ballasts not Probe start which is the common ballast in N. America and what I have. In fact the 175 watt Ushio's run on a Probe ballast can reduce the life of the bulb. So after doing the reading I thought I would try the XM 10,000K bulbs because they looked similar to the Ushio's when comparing tank pics and they run off of Probe start ballasts. After installing them today they fired right up and the color is just a hint bluer than the Ushio's. Now they need to burn in so I expect them to balance out a little whiter but for an initial review these bulbs are great. The PAR rating on these bulbs are also much higher than the Ushio's so time will tell how my SPS react.

Cool

heard nothing but great things about these lamps. wanting to try them myself.

Stig,
    I have been using the 400w of these for quite awhile now and love them!! Wait till you see the "crazy" colors you'll be get on your SPS ( mostly due to the higher PAR)!!

Makes me wish I had the bought the DE XM bulbs for my 400gal tank. I guess in a year from now I can switch from the Ushios.
    ________
    Tanks: 400 gal Reef, 180 gal FOWLR, 300 gal Sump, 40 gal Frag Tray plumbed as one system - 900 gal total water volume.
    DIY Calcium Reactor, Nielson Reactor and Skimmer

I have 3 x 400 watt 10,000k XM metal halide bulbs and I have been running them for about 4 months now at 6 hours a day. One of the bulbs burnt out a couple day's ago and I'm not sure why? I am running them on PFO standard ballasts. I contacted the place where I got them from, (some one in the states) and all they will do is give me a discount on a new bulb, but I have to pay to ship the old bulb back to them and pay to ship the new one to me. It will cost me more to get the burnt out bulb replaced than for me to get a brand new one. Does anyone know if XM has a web site, so I could talk to someone in customer service. I'm not very happy that this bulb only lasted 4 months at 6 hours a day.

Colby
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"

I have run the 10k and the 20k XMs.. and i removed them for the 14K Arc.. Find them much better color, not sure on the PAR.. But i do like the color much better.

I guess that is a prime example why to order from Canadian retailers. Great to get a deal by ordering from a U.S. internet discounter but if something goes wrong the savings can be eaten up pretty quick in shipping.
    ________
    Tanks: 400 gal Reef, 180 gal FOWLR, 300 gal Sump, 40 gal Frag Tray plumbed as one system - 900 gal total water volume.
    DIY Calcium Reactor, Nielson Reactor and Skimmer

Cool

I'll be trying 3 different lamps .
    PFO 13K on the left outside, ARC 14K on the right outside
    ARC,10K and XM 10K on the insides.

I would have bought the bulbs from a Canadian source, But they were only avalible in the US at the time of purchase. I try to buy all of my goods from Canada if they are avalible.

Colby
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"