Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 90g lighting

Im NO right now. i have one full spec, one 50/50 two actinics. i obviously cant keep sps, clams, bla, bla. if I go 4 VHO, is there any corals that i cant keep? im thinking VHO is the way to go. but do i limit my corals selection from doing so? im trying to stay away from MH. and if so. do i need two ballsts for 4 vho bulbs (48") or is there a ballast that can support 4 bulbs (florecent vho's)

dark....sorry for the highjack butr the question was makin my head smoke. id have to install a fan on the side of my head.:crap:

No prob PS. Im not sure if using VHO will support certain corals thats why Im planning on MH/VHO. I dont want to limit what I can keep in this tank(softies and sps). Some people only use VHO and have had much success.

especially if yur a militant bulb changer. anyone else with only vho's have any corals limits?

Cool

DARK, 1 ballast = 1 MH lamp.
    1 VHO ICECAP can = 3 to 4 VHO lamps or t5 lamps
    1 WH is supposed to light 1 VHO lamp but some wire it for 2.
    You cannot go wrong with ICECAP ballasts wether there MH or VHO.
    Do not keep your ballasts inside your canopy. I can get away with it as my canopy is very high and will be very well ventilated to the outside but on your 90g I would put them remote. you want them as cool and dry as possible.

Understand that part Johnny. Guess what Im after is should I buy it all in peices or get THIS.

Cool

that system is to $$$$ for what your probally getting. WH ballast, so so reflector and I don't even know what MH ballast there using. If you are spending that kinda money do it right the first time. dual pendants with ICECAP electronic ballasts.
    or, dual PFO tar ballasts with retro fit reflectors and single ended lamps. those are the 2 best choices IMO. theres other GOOD! all in one hoods but there huge dollars!!! send IVAN a pm DARK, you won't regret it.

Johhny, I use this system.
    I upgraded to the Icecap electronic ballast. The reflector seems to work well, but they did not have an option on reflector. It is polished with multiple angles to reflect back to the tank. The height of the unit is approximately 10". I got the venture 10K bulbs at the same time. They gave me the sale price in Canadian dollars but the upgrades were in US dollar. I also added 2 icecap fans and an acrylic shield.

It is made by Cooltouch, the same manufacturer that Ivan uses for the MH units. So I am pretty sure that these are not too muich money for what you get. Although Ivan only lists the MH units, I am sure he can probably get the MH/VHO combination.
    180g with 2 x 54g corner bowfront bookends. 220 FOWLR in the works, 75g sump, 75g fuge, 75g QT.
    Solaris I4 72", 2 x 150 HQI Outer Orbit Pendants, Reeflo Orca 250, Profilux controller, Tunze 6101's and 6055's, Deltec CA Rx, PM Kalk Mixer, PM SR45 reactors.

Cool

there not bad units but for 250w the DE lamps on an ICECAP MH ballast or even a PFO HQ ballast can't be beat.as long as you get a good pendant with reflector nothing else can touch it for par and versatility.ICECAP have always been known for quality and there DE lamps look super well built. like I said,theres just so many choices.

so for the record should(opion)should he go for the icecap elec bal with DE 250w bulb?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast