Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 90g lighting

Johnny, I agree, there are so many choices. I have no doubt your recommendations will provide the best lighting.

However, I have to look at the hobby with available resources (money) in mind. I got my system for under $1100 including PST, GST and delivery. The price for two pendents (including PC actinics) at JL (with Icecap, etc) is $1475 delivered. Thats a $400 difference. I have to ask myself, is the difference worth it. My system will allow me to keep SPS and other higher light corals. In my case, the extra was not worth it. Each individual has to make their own decision based on their situation.

We go through similar arguments in woodowrking forums. Someone asks what is the best table saw to get for their woodworking hobby. Everyone says the Delta Unisaw, or Jet or General. These all cost more that $2100. However, a good contractor saw at 1100 will do the same thing. I may have to tune it more often, but it still cuts the wood.

I personally try to find the right compromise that will allow me to participate in my hobby so that I can still enjoy it without breaking the bankl.
    180g with 2 x 54g corner bowfront bookends. 220 FOWLR in the works, 75g sump, 75g fuge, 75g QT.
    Solaris I4 72", 2 x 150 HQI Outer Orbit Pendants, Reeflo Orca 250, Profilux controller, Tunze 6101's and 6055's, Deltec CA Rx, PM Kalk Mixer, PM SR45 reactors.

good points.Its all on what you want to spend
    on the cheaper side of things you could even buy 2 retrofit reflectors with mogul,and a dual PFO standard ballast with SE lamps and that would be just fine. you could add in some NO actinics and up grade later to VHO/T5 actinics on his tank.I'm doing ICECAP BALLASTS and PFO reflectors myself as the 400w DE lamps just haven't been out long enough and theres not enough choices in lamps.plus the 400w DE don't have the same ummpp as the 250w DE from what I've read.

I was over at Ivan's last night(again) and we got to talking about lighting. I guess Im decided on getting 3 IceCaps, 2x250 MH and 2xVHO or 2xT5 with PFO reflectors. Im thinking about how to make the canopy for now before I get the actual lighting. Given that I will be using PFO reflectors and the height of the PFO's are 6.5 inchs, how high should the lights be from the water? The tank is 23.5 inchs tall and I'll be adding 3-4 inch dsb. Im just trying to figure out how high the canopy has to be from the top of the tank. Im not a fan of tall canopy's and want to keep the height to a minimum but also allow easy access.

Any thoughts?

James

Oh and is better to center the lighting or have it more to the front or back?

well, with adding T5 or VHO you really won't have much choice but to center it. In a 90g it really won't matter and will look great. as far as height again thats a preference but the average is between 6'' to 12''. are you going DE lamps?

well, with adding T5 or VHO you really won't have much choice but to center it. In a 90g it really won't matter and will look great. as far as height again thats a preference but the average is between 6'' to 12''.

It was suggested that I add T5 or VHO to get the nice 03 effect for dawn/dusk, I wonder if its really needed. Couldnt I add just NO 40 watts 03's. It would save me $$$. Gezz guess I still dont know what to do... lamp selection no clue...

personnaly i will never go without halides..they give that nice ripple effect in the water and is not comparable to any other lighting.I paid 240$ for a dual cooltouch lighting plug and play then add the 2 bubls plus reflectors....then you could add 2 actinics for you dawn dusk effect.....But MH are a tad expensive but its realy worth every pennie..even if you dont have corals..but thats just me..I had NO,HO,VHO,T'5 and MH...and I should of saved myslef money and got the halides right away
    Derik...

Oh Im getting MH, as to the VHO or T5's thats what Im not sure about now.

If you want to save some money get some t5's they will do plenty for what you are going to do with it...
    Derik...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast