Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 90g lighting

90g lighting

Im the planning stages for my lighting. Not sure which is the best way to go concerning this but I'd like to go 2x250 MH with 2 T5. Should I DIY and buy all the componets separately or buy something like this. If I get everything separately, could you make possible suggestions as to what I should buy, ie: reflector, ballats and bulbs for both MH and T5.

Thanks
    James

hmm, If I had my 90g back I'd be going 2x 250w DE lamps on ICECAP electronic ballasts. They even make a kick butt lamps and pendant now as well.Lots of good reviews.

for the MH bulbs, i agree with Johnny, the ice cap eballast is great. the one i have works very good and is only warm to the touch. as for bulbs, it is personal prefernce, as each brand and wattage of bulb will produce a different colour in your tank. i use 2x250 watt 10k Ushio bulbs. i find they are a bit on the white side so i have 2 VHO attinics and will be adding 2 more to help with the color. the reflectors i bought from a company in montreal. if you'd like the link give me an email and i'll forward it to you
    Barry

Patience is a virtue.

Berry you mentioned you have a ice cap eballast can you run two lamps off of this ballast?
    Stephen

Cool

1 ballast = 1 lamp

that's what I thought.
    Stephen

I was under the impression that using 1 TAR ballest would be better for the MH and a WH for the VHO. I'd like to have the same type of lighting they have at Marinescape on thier corner 90g which is 2x175mh. They suggested that I use 2x250 and VHO instead of 2x40watt NO. Running a TAR and 1 WH would be cheaper... but is it better or equal?

Cool

DARK, theres just SO many different applications and points of view. while TAR is just fine so is electronic. If you like what you see at MS and want to copy it exactly go ahead.
    Theres jut to many differences and benefits and setups between the 2 typse that it would take awhile to post it all.
    TAR: big, heavy, some say runs[some] lamps better, some say hard on hydro, some say to much heat,some say lamps don't last as long, some say runs lamps to spec, some say more reliable and the list goes on.

ELECTRONIC, some say better on hydro, lighter, smaller, less heat. some say runs all lamps[except one of the XM DE's I think?] some say unpowers the lamps, some say the hydro savings is to small, some say the ballasts are problematic and the list goes on and on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd like to try the DE lamps with ICECAP as I've heard great things.

the advantage of using an electronic ballast is the savings in electricty. they use alot less power to run MH bulbs. an WH is vho and will give you more light than just a No bulb. if you run 2x250 Mh, you could use NO bulbs for your attnics, as the attnics are mostly for your viewing preference.
    Barry

Patience is a virtue.

Thanks for the info Johnny and Barry. Because of limited space in my stand I was thinking I would make a shelf in the canopy and have the ballest's there, being Icecaps they would fit nicely and I wouldnt have to worry so much about the heat. If you guys are "sure" the Icecaps would run 2 MH and 2 VHO I'll go with that. I would hate to buy something and not be happy with it, besides my better half would put an end to me if she wasnt happy with the way it looked.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast