Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thoughts on Heaters

My old 250 watt Ebo Jager heater will not turn off any more. I have been using in conjunction with a 150 watt titanium heater.

I am trying to decide if I should just replace it, or shop for a bigger heater and replace both. Any brands I should consider?

I have a about 150 gallons of water volume and I will be upgrading to a 180 soon that will give me a total water volume of about 250 gallons.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Bill

Can't really suggest any particular brand of heater, but I would suggest 2 heaters of equal wattage so that the work load is split and if one heater sticks on, it won't cook the fish.
    For example, in my 150, I have 2 150watt heaters. If one of them were to stick on, it shouldn't be dangerously high.
    My average temp of my tank with the 2 heaters is 76-78F.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

Two heaters is considers to be the way to go for the reason pwall gave not to mention that if 1 heater failed in the off position the tank might cool down before you realize you got an issue.
    Rob

Cool

2 heaters gets my vote. I really like the EBO heaters. If one is stuck just replace it.

I think two heaters is the way I will go. It would be nice to free up a plug, but I must admit that this was a "soft" failure. It took me days to notice the heater wasn't cycling off. The other one kept working normally. The temp rise was minimal.

I also agree with 2. I use an Ebo too and I had to replace it about 1 1/2 years ago. It would either stay on or off, can't remember anymore, but I sent it back still under warranty and they simply sent me a new one ( although I had to cover all the shipping both ways!! ...grumble..., grumble.....).

They made you pay for shiping, cheap bastards, great heaters though...
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

I have been using Tronic heaters and have been using them for two years now without failure. They have been keeping the temperature very steady. I like them.

Am I the lucky one? I do not know. Just my own personal experience.

Reefsurfer,
    Yeah, even though it was under warranty and only worked for 2 months!!!
    I emailed them explaining the problem with a copy of the invoice, they replied to send it to them. Once they had it, they emailed me to pay shipping there and return by credit card and only then they will send me a new one!!!

I wasn't happy about it, but I wanted the new heater.... Last time I will buy one though, only in case I ever have to deal with the support again...

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    I use 2x 250w Ebo heaters, thermally controlled via x10 by way of my Aquacontroller. I need not worry about a heater sticking in the on position this way. The Aquacontroller will shut it off when the tank reaches it's set point. The heaters are set to 79 degrees just the same however...
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast