Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should I do more water changes?

these are my tanks here

In my two saltwater ones I have too much brown algae on the sand and cyano baceria as well as aptasia. I have been doing 10% water changes every 3-4 days on the 10 gallon , and 5% water change on the 72 gallon every 3-4 days, but it hasen't been going away. Should I do bigger water changes? or shoul I o them more often? or both?

I tried the first link....all I got was:
    "You are trying to access a restricted area.

We're sorry, but we have reserved this area of our site for registered users only

You can register for free by following this link, thus granting you permission to access this area of our site.

Thank you for your understanding"

How old are the tanks ?
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

Sorry, I didn't know you had to be registered their to see it. heres what I have:

72 gallon reef: (nearly 2 years old, and was an upgrade from a smaller tank)
    -1 scopas tang
    -2 common clown fish
    -1 yellow tailed damsel
    -5 green/blue chromis
    -1 six line wrasse
    -1 dragon goby
    -2 peppermint shrimp
    -lots and lots of hermt crabs and snails
    -Lots of xenia, and colt coral, an a small amoint of green star polyp

10 gallon nano reef: (about one month old, but the live rock was taken from the other tank)
    -5 blue legged hermit crabs
    -1 peppermint shrimp
    -1 orange firefish
    -a medium sized colt coral

wow! for the life of me I can't grow any Xenia!!!! that's not fair :rant: What type of lighting do you have? I found ever since I switched to MH that my xenia's are falling apart but everything else is doing great. Please can anyone donate some xenia...lol. Okay back to the topic, I do a 30% water change once a month and have not had any problems with algae. How much flow do you have in your tank? What type of water are you using?

Xenia.

GK..I would gladly give you pink Xenia if you want.......
    guess Mh might be too strong for them.......but if you want some let me know.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Gkilla
    wow! for the life of me I can't grow any Xenia!!!! that's not fair :rant: What type of lighting do you have? I found ever since I switched to MH that my xenia's are falling apart but everything else is doing great. Please can anyone donate some xenia...lol. Okay back to the topic, I do a 30% water change once a month and have not had any problems with algae. How much flow do you have in your tank? What type of water are you using?

Had the same problem when I upgraded my lighting. I had to put the Xenia covered rocks on the substrate for a month to get them to come back. They just melted. After a while they came back and now I keep them in the lower half of the tank. I have the Red Sea Pink Pom Pom variety.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

This is my light http://www.petsandponds.com/securest...6354111.2.html

I have a 1000gph pump that is inside the sump and a powerhead that is 100gph to get rid of the dead spots on the side of the tank that the main pump doesn't effect very much.

As for the water I use, it is just tap water with salt and dechlorinator... Should I be doing this differently?

IMO RO/DI water would help and I think you need more flow using circulators in the tank. Even if your sump pump puts out 1000gph, I doubt that more than half that reaches the tank.
    90g Display, 30gal sump w/ refugium, MAS CR418 calcium reactor w/ Mag5 and Blueline CO2, Vertex IN-180 protein skimmer w/ Mag5, Mag9.5 return, 150 Phosban Reactor w/ MJ 1200, 1 Ebo 200w heater, 90lbs. LR, 80lbs. Carib-Sea aragonite, Cooltouch MH lights -2 x 400watt (20K & 14K) PFO hoods & Coralife 65w PC in custom hood with fan, Coralife 3-3/4watt mini moonlights, 8 jet Closed Loop System w/Reef-flo Dart, Aqua-Safe RO/DI, JBJ Auto Top Off unit w/Mag 5 return, 12g Nano cube, 10g quarentine.

What do you mean only half reaches the tank.. It all reaches the tank and the current is quite strong behind ond in front of the rocks, I can tell when I put food in or when the powerhead is spraying out bubbles. There aren't any dead spots.

It might be worth looking into making or buying a Sulphur Denitrator, I've been reading up on them, pretty cool. Here's a link to an interesting article:
    http://mars.reefkeepers.net/USHomePa...Denitrator.htm
    HermitCrab

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast