How much phytoplankton

these are my tanks: link

How much phytoplankton should I be adding to my saltwater tanks? and how often?

I just realized that the link hteir won't work for you unless you register on the forums, so here are my tanks

72 gallon reef: (nearly 2 years old and was an upgrade fom a smaller tank)
    -1 scopas tang
    -2 common clown fish
    -1 yellow tailed damsel
    -5 green/blue chromis
    -1 six line wrasse
    -1 dragon goby
    -2 peppermint shrimp
    -lots and lots of hermt crabs and snails
    -Lots of xenia, and colt coral, an a small amoint of green star polyp

10 gallon nano reef: (about one month old, but the live rock was taken from the other tank)
    -5 blue legged hermit crabs
    -1 peppermint shrimp
    -1 orange firefish
    -a medium sized colt coral

I have talked to the guy from Reef Crew and he claims that he does water changes with it. His suggestion is to make the tank as green as you can take it starting off slow and slowing increassing as more feather, clams and othher filter feeders grow. I use about 1/2 a bag (reef crew) in my 65. But I turn off the return pump for a while when I first put it in to give my tank a chance at it before I dilute it to the sump.

Realy??? I have been putting two capfuls every two weeks.... And my corals have been flourishing. I thought I might have been using to much and it was contributing to my algae problem :rant:

Quote Originally Posted by Dockery
    Realy??? I have been putting two capfuls every two weeks.... And my corals have been flourishing. I thought I might have been using to much and it was contributing to my algae problem :rant:
    I followed the instructions for adding it to my 50 gallon reef and all of a sudden, a green film is growing on my tank glass. Interestingly, phosphate and nitrate readings are zippo.

Today was the first time I saw my large duster spit out a string of green plant-like stuff which had to be from the added Phytoplankton.

I see no changes in my corals and I have been using it for three weeks so I will probably stop using it when it's all gone.

Like you, I think it has something to do with my algae growth. Nothing in the tank or the equipment or feeding has changed and the lights are only 4 months old so the algae can't be from anything other than the Phyto.

Just a guess though...

I dose 1/2 cup daily, usually before the lights come on. I grow my own phyto so there's plenty available.

Dockery, based on your livestock Id suggest to ease up on the phyto. Your not gonna need much to keep those coral alive. Dont follow the instructions on the bottle, its generally way to much unless you have a flourishing and large reef.

Stick to a couple capfuls a week at max. On the other hand its hard to overdue phyto, as the real indicators would be excess algea growth and nitrarte increase if you are putting in too much.
    "Mmmm...Skimmate"

From your stocking list I can't fathom why you would want to use it at all. And it is most definitely contributing to algea growth in your tank. If you feel you must use, use it very sparingly. If a film grows on your glass, you either are adding too much or don't have adequate nutrient export form your tank.
    Jason

To share my personal experience....I was, for many months, adding 1/2 cup of my home grown phyto in my 120, but my production rate was such that I decided to up the dosage to 1 cup per day rather than see the stuff go bad. I was going to cut back on production but since the large dosage hasn't had any adverse effects on my tank, I decided to continue with the 1 cup daily dosage.