Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: foods for tangs

foods for tangs

I have a scopas tang and I fear that it isn't getting enough plant matter in its diet as it is a herbivore.

What "human" veggies can I give to him? He hasn't grown a lot since I got him and I have had him for a while, could this be because he needs more veggies?

Well the key is variety. In my case I feed my tangs a variety of foods such as mysis, krill, nori and formula 1 and 2 (frozen and flakes).

As for Human "veggies"....once in a while I feed them romaine lettuce and spinach. Some fellow reefers will tell you that human "veggies" are not suitable for marine organisms but IMO proteins are proteins and vitamines are vitamines. So as long as you got variety in your tangs diet, it'll be ok.
    Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. --
    Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by gophia
    IMO proteins are proteins and vitamines are vitamines
    i'll agree with everything else u say... but that is simply not true.

It loves eating lettuce, I've never tried any other veggies though.

What kind of vegetarian fish food can I buy for it?

spirlina flakes, nori (cheap from asian markets, buy the unflavored kind for sushi), romaine, and maybe they'll eat cucumbers?

I have the romain lettuce and will feed him some.

I will also look for some veggie flake food or something at my lfs.

Smile

skip the romaine. I don't see why anyone uses this or broccoli?? you can just go to any ASIAN store and buy NORI. Its the proper stuff to use. I don't like romaine because 1, it has little food value and 2, the widespread pesticide use on farms. even thought you wash the lettuce I still think some residual could be locked up inside the lettuce.
    NORI
    MYSIS
    GOOD FLAKE FOOD
    and a few other good LFS foods are all you need. you can soak them over night in SELCON. no reason for anyone to use lettuce.

romaine

Funny how people will not give their fish romaine out of fear of pesticide use. Water changes with ro/di water because there is too many chemicals present in the water system. And yet we will gulp down that glass of water with a big bowl of ceasar salad.
    I do agree though that nori and other sea weeds like dulce and the like are great for your herbivorous fish. Just make sure the alfeas are not colored.
    Many many types available at any good asian market.
    Jason

Dockery, if you do get nori make sure there's no flavouring or preservative added. Just buy the non-roasted, harder to find (in my area) but preferred, but I've used the roasted version for years without a problem

Quote Originally Posted by Ricepicker
    i'll agree with everything else u say... but that is simply not true.
    Please explain why you think an amino acid and/or a vitamin is different from different sources
    Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. --
    Charles Darwin

I'm going to agree with JR, getting the "expensive" nori from loblaws costs me ~ $0.10 / day / tang.

If you want to add even more variety, there's several other types of edible seaweed in both loblaws and at asian grocery stores, I'd try those before putting lettuce or broccoli in my tank. (No I haven't tried those)

To be honest though, if you put out Nori for him to graze on, feed a veggie flake occasionally, and watch how much meaty foods he's eating you're in good shape. If you want to be in better shape, grow some macro in a fuge & feed it to the tang instead of tossing it out when it needs to be cut back.

Tang delight is probably the best for that.

Also you can soak your flakes in something like selcon. 0.5ml every other day can work magic.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast