Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

cyano bacteria(red slime algae)

does anybody have a solution for getting rid of cyano, basically ive limited my lights considerably, use ro/di and my snails and hermits just aint cutting it, its to the point now that ive been fighting it that im about to call it quits break it all down and sell it off. please help, before a go to that extreme.sorry also all my numbers are great phosphate,nitrate,nitite,ammonia,ph,calcium all bang on

justin

Unfortunately I don't have it here so I can't give you the name (Slime Away??) but it comes in a small bottle, yellow in color. I bought it at Marinescape (Ottawa) and it works like a charm. It comes with a very small scoop and I believe the doseage is one spoon for each 15gals of water. Will turn you water yellow but it clears in a few hours.

Nelson

What helped me was to increase the flow from 10X to 40X, and rinsing all my frozen foods before adding it to my tank.

Cheers

i'm with ironman justin... get some more flow and maybe a conch or some cerith snails... they eat slime algaes that many others do not... other than that you basically have to give it time i think to go away on its own... how long you had it for?

Another good idea is to syphon the stuff out. Not much will eat it and stirring it up doesn't help a lot. If you syphon it out and then alter the water flow to strike the affected areas (don't blow the sand away, but, more current there) you should notice a reduction.

Also, look at reducing your feeding and improving your filtration if you can. Heavier skimming, more water changes, etc. will help too.

As mentioned, frozen food juice is wonderful food for the nuisance algae and Cyano Bacteria.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

sounds good i thought i would have enough flow with my 3 maxijet 1200 and tunze 6080 maybe ill move one of my maxi lower i have it about mid way right now maybe i move it even a couple inches lower and aim it more towards the subtrate and ive been thinking about a conch also and it started to get bad when i added my new lighting which has been cut considerably.

Well, if you add light and suddenly get an outbreak, chances are you had a bunch of nutrients building up. This likely was going to come along anyway, just slower and later with the old lights.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

mine was horrible and i added more flow and turned my light cycle down a bit and its almost all gone now anddi tried the syphon method for a couple days but i found that after a hour or 2 i could not see my sand and rocks again so i added more flow and angled everything so there was no dead spots of water just add bubble or all i did was add purple up(its very cloudy) so i can see where the flow is going and once i had good flow everywhere it is almost all gone

good luck

I used the "Slime Away "product and it worked great- It will turn your water yellow for a period of time. I used it my FO tank-not sure about REEF. I will see if I can find my box and read up.
    I have a lot of Patients

Quote Originally Posted by badmedicine
    I used the "Slime Away "product and it worked great- It will turn your water yellow for a period of time. I used it my FO tank-not sure about REEF. I will see if I can find my box and read up.
    That's the stuff I was trying to describe earlier. Used it in my reef with no problems and with complete success.

Nelson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast