Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Live Food

ToX

Live Food

ok so after watching the videocast at talkingreef.com I decided to setup a baby brine shrimp hatchery to feed my madarin... I got everything except the 2liter coke bottle (I'm working on that LOL) and a net the filter the shrimps... Where can I get that net???

Oh, I'M also setting up a phytoplankton culture. So if anyone has 1 liter of phyto for me to start my culture that would be awsome.

thanks

silk stocking would work just fine, as ur mom or girlfriend for an old pair

also, brine shrimp not really nutrious unless u enrich it, for madrins i think its better to cultivate copepods

ToX
    baby brine shrimp are suppose to be very nutrious and I already have a refugium, I just don't want him to starve... I like to overfeed and siphon left over and do more water change then to don't feed enough. And the baby brine shrimp will also feed other fish

ohhh baby brines

they tend to be free swimming though, and mandrins like to pick near the rocks or bottom...

u might need to turn off pumps when ur feeding eh?

ToX
    hehe, I'll try a paper coffee filter see if it works

anyone growing there own plankton???

The brine shrimp net you can pick up at petsmart and aquarium services.

Baby brine shrimp tend to go everywhere. I turn off my skimmer for about an hour when I feed them. Most of them do swim through the water, but I see lots on the glass, and they get absolutely everywhere.

You will end up with adult brine shrimp if you feed BBS on a regular basis. My sump, skimmer and phosban reactor are infested with them. The ones that stay in the main tank don't last terribly long, but with a flash light at night you'll be able to find some. Look in spots your fish would have a problem getting to.

Live brine shrimp aren't as bad as frozen brine shrimp. They're still popcorn for fish, but even popcorn is better than not eating at all. It's also gives you some breathing space to convince the fish that cyclops-eese and those funny flake things are also food.

If you find the phyto, let me know, I've been thinking about starting some myself

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

I dont think ive ever seen my mandarin eat anything ive put into the tank,
    usually he just picks at the rock.
    to help culture pods for him you can add large cobble at the back of the tank(as not to disrupt asthetics), or make certain areas where fish cannot go so they can thrive.
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

When I hatch brine shrimp I use water from my aquarium. That way they don't die immediately from osmotic shock. I've never seen an adult bring shrimp in my tank but I see mysis by the millions.

If you use decapsulated brine shrimp eggs (or decapsulate them yourself) you can save yourself the hassle of trying to separate the shrimp from the shells and just dump your culture directly into the aquarium. Since you're using straight up aquarium water you can also top up your culture right out of the main tank.

Hank.
    220G mixed reef main, 30 G (3 x 10) brood/grow-out, 25 G secondary, 6 G frag with shared sump

Return Pump: Iwaki MD55RLT
    Water Movement: Tunze Turbelle Stream 6060, 4 x MaxiJet 1200
    Lighting: 60" Outer Orbit dual 250 W 10k HQI and quad 48" T5HO Actinic
    Skimmer: Precision Marine Bullet-2 with Iwaki MD55RLT, WC610 waste collector, and gate valve

Experience: Fresh since 1976 - Marine since 1987

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/hank.carr

Yeah that's what most do. A very few learn to take frozen / prepaired food. I've even read about one eating pellets from a jar.

They won't really take BBS out of the water column, but if you've ever put a batch in the tank check the sides of the aquarium. You'll be surprised just how many stick to the glass & crawl around. Conversly there's tonnes more on the rocks & sand. The ones we can most easily see and possibly the majority of them are in the water column, but they don't all stay there.

Cheers!

All good suggestions Hank, I've just never gotten the hang of decapsulating my own cysts. I know a couple people that swear buy it, but I find the coke bottle bubbler thing from brine shrimp direct is "set & forget it".

I had about 0 luck with bbs until I started using Flame*Angel's technique.

Anyway to be fair, I have both mysis & brine shrimp in my tank. There's some that are clearly mysis & some that are clearly adult brine shrimp. Most aren't interested in hanging around to be identified beyond "shrimp" when I find them with a flash light, so I don't have an accurate count of either.

If somebody can tell me if mysis "eyebrows" are a bright organ / yellow when hit by a flash light I might be able to tell you which I have more of.

I also suspect one eats the other, but I'm not sure which. It wasn't an issue to me

Cheers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast