Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What eats brown diatoms/brown algae

A month ago I had a major rockslide in my tank. After that we had an algae bloom. We now have a major algae bloom of hairy brown algae and brown diatoms. I was told that our yellow eyed tang and sifting starfish would suffice but it wasn't. We were then told that foxface rabbitfish devour algae--umm not this one.
    What about those sifting gobies? Anyone had any luck?

What eats hairy algae? Time is only making it worse. I have not touched the inside of the tank ( fear of nitrate released from sand/rock) but have cleaned/replaced the foam filters regularly in RO and then salt water.

Any hints?
    thanks!
    I have a lot of Patients

do all your normal water tests and see whats out of wack. I'd be willing to bet your phosophates are probably high. No since trying to buy a critter to temporially fix the problem when you could nip it in the bud with something as simple as getting phosophate reducer.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

I had a case like that about two weeks ago when I've notice that I had few spots of hair algae and never had any before.

I don't know why it showed up suddenly but at my surprise one night I saw my pink Urchin eating all of it and the next morning to see that it was all gone.

I don't know if all urchin are use to do that but maybe you can try it.
    180g AGA inwall W/ 2 overflows W/ 205g sump 20g fuge, 77g W/ 30g sump 12g fuge w/mag 9.5 pump.

Unhappy

can you post a picture?? because it could be dinoflagellates and if it is,,,, you could be in for some misery.
    I've been fighting this and some hair algea for months now.
    dinos are also TOXIC to inverts so snails and urchins won't help and might harm as they die off.
    dinos, use silicate to grow so you might have to either test your fresh water and maybe change your DI resin.
    if its diatoms and hair then this is also a water issue possible from the rock slide but could be from over feeding,water quality,older lamps etc....
    can you run phosban and carbon or are you already??
    I've been diong numerous water changes to no avail which meens I have dinos.
    they coat everything and have little bubbles trapped in them and look like goo.

Brown algae that with photosynthesis creates little balls of air goop. Knowbody wants to touch it.

Changed my UV bulb last week. Changed my phosban last week. Added Puricell (sp) last week.

Thinking my RO unit needs its membranes changed?
    Running out of ideas here.
    I have a lot of Patients

750 grams Purigen
    750 grams pura complete

removes silicates,phosphates, breaks down waste. I know that it is overkilll for my 180 gal tank but as I said I am getting nervous. My MH lights are 4 months old (as are my actinics).
    I have a lot of Patients

yeh that sure looks like DINOFLAGELLATES. its a bugger!!
    I'm looking into this product to help me get the upper hand.
    WWW.ALGONE.COM. It's carried at BIGALS looks interesting

I had the same thing a month or so ago. just after i moved. i figued it was a combination of the move, new water, ect.

I blew off the air bubbles off of it with my hand every few days. i started to wonder if it was some microbubbles from my skimmer that were being blown around. i was only one rock, so i moved it and turned off my skimmer and it went away (Probably with a litttle help form a pencil urchen)
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

Unhappy

now sometimes cyno and diatoms can be mistaken for dino's
    diatoms normally are a new tank issues and can go away fast if all is well.
    cyno is normally a sheet like coating and can be red or brown but sometimes looks like dinos.
    dinoflagellates get really stringy and lots of bubbles from the lighting period plus they spred like MAD!!! they can choke out anything. inverts can die from this stuff as well as corals.

That picture looks most like dinoflagellates to me. I went through a similar outbreak a few months back. Spent half my time syphoning up that green bubbly... umm... snot.

Seems to be lots of controversy on how to get rid of this one. I can tell you that I did a ridiculous number of water changes with natural sea water, syphoned daily, dropped my photoperiod, all to no avail. It finally went away when I changed bulb brands... not that that proves anything. Good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast