Thread: Red slime algae

Question Red slime algae

Has anybody used Red Slime Remover by Ultralife Reef before?
    The instructions on the box is not very clear. It just said one spoonful per 15 gallons.
    I have turned off my skimmer after dosing, when can I turn it back on please? Anybody knows please?

Red Slime remover is Erythromycin which is an antibiotic. It works fantastic! You have to turn off the protein skimmer for a couple of days (3 or 4 days) and remover any carbon or other chemical supplements. It will turn your water yellow. Watch for fish distress. If that occurs do a water change. After the few days (if you haven't done it already) do a 25% water change and start skimming and carbon routine. I would also advise that you do yet another water change 7 days later to make sure you have removed the antibiotic.

Your biological filtration may be affected and will the oxygen carrying capacity of the tank during the process.

Good luck!
    I have a lot of Patients

I agree with badmedicine on this one. Red Slime Remover works like a charm. The only negetive side-effect in my case was the yellow water which only makes the tank ugly for a little while. Eventually, it goes away.

All the red slime algae seem to have disappeared. I turned the skimmer back on few hours ago, it has been skimming like crazy. I quickly did a 15% water change. The one problem I am having now is that tons of micro bubbles are coming out of the skimmer's return pipe. Is this normal please? The skimmer is still skimming heavily after the water change.

This is all normal signs of the antibiotic. How long have you been treating with the Red Slime Remover? I think it takes a couple of days to get the best effect of the meds (I am not 100% sure though).

You should have thick foaming in your sump and your protein skimmer will go nuts for awhile.

Water changes and carbon will remove the antibiotic.
    I have a lot of Patients

Talking

It took about twelve hours to rid of the red slime algae. I am surprised that it is so effective.
    Thanks to everybody for your advices.