Thread: is this cyano?

is this cyano?

I have had my tank up and running for over a year now and initially missed the cyano outbreak but had lots of hair algae...the heir is almost under control but I noticed what I thought was a maroon coraline algae on the rocks but now I am wondering if it is a patch of cyano?

They arent great pictures, it is a maroon patch about the size of my fist. It looks almost like coraline although a little more "fuzzy" on close inspection. All my parimiters are right on-ph 8.25, nitrates 0, dkh 9, ca 420, phos undetectable.

I have had so much trouble with hair algae I want to nip it in the bud if it is....any suggestions?

My system specs should be in the signature.

Thanks.
    77 Gal Mixed reef -33 gal sump -20 gal fuge
    440 watt vho lighting - 2 watt moon lights

kat
    does it move if you blow it with the turkey baster? if so...SUCK IT UP!!!! increase your water flow, do more water changes, if you are running a skimmer..good...reduce your light schedule a bit. The water changes will help a lot as cyano is a bacteria, not the same as an actual algae.

It looks like very short 1-2mm hair on the rocks. It does not easily suck up with a turkey baster.... Is that what cyano lo0oks like?

kat
    hmmm...it sounds like it. If you blast it with the turkey baster, did it move? if so, then increase the flow, especially where it is located, and increase your water changes. If all else fails, there is a product that you can buy that tackles the bacteria of cyano only and doesn't harm anything else in the tank, I have used it so i am speaking from experience. PM me if you want further info on it.

It is funny, it all seems to be growing in the area of highest flow in my tank. This particular patch is growing right under the return from my sump. Adding more flow doesn't seem to make sence in that case...

kat
    i've had cyano on the spout from my skimmer! so your right,sometimes the flow won't matter...what does help is cutting the lights, increasing water changes, and try to reduce the feedings just slightly so that the excess doesn't feed the bacteria.