Hair algae question

I know this topic gets a little old but believe me if you have it and can't get rid of it...arrgghhhh

I have been battling hair algae for about a year and a half now. I will almost win using all the traditional methods and then it comes roaring back. I have tried decreased lighting, decreased feeding, snails galore, urchins, lettuce nudi's. I just can't figure it out.

I am now wondering whether it could be my sand. I have a medium sand bed (2-5 inches) of what looks like normal play sand. I bought it off a fellow reefer who was selling his tank as "live" sand. I am now wondering if it might be the cause of my grief. My question is this...is there any way of telling? Should I test for silicates? Any suggestions?

In my tank, the hair algae even grows in the shade so something must be supplying it!!

Thanks in Advance,

Ray
    77 Gal Mixed reef -33 gal sump -20 gal fuge
    440 watt vho lighting - 2 watt moon lights

The first question is what are you using as source water? RO/DI or out of the tap? I am sure it is the latter, but, it had to be asked.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

Sheldon, I have been using ro/di water from the beginning. I had been reading online for two years before setting up and decided I didn't want to risk it.

I heard from the other reefer who said it was regular play sand. Could this be my problem.

Sheldon, where did you get you sand? I love it....

I am also running phosban.

Ray

I knew that was that was going to be the answer. I had to ask because another hobbiest in Halifax with a 180 gallon tank can't seem to figure out why he has consistantly high nitrates but refuses to use RO/DI water because of the waste.

I realluy doesn't make a lot od sense. I can't figure out why silica would contribute to phosphates. There are alot of hobbiest using play sand on the reef central forums. What color is yours? The stuff I have is Carbisea Argonite Sugar Sand. I bought mine from Aqua Creations in Halifax.

Replacing the entire sand bed is a big deal. Since no one is responding here, I would post on reef central to see if it is necessary.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

Yeah, I know, replacing the sand bed is a HUGE deal. Just thinking about it causes some anxiety!!!

I don't understand if silica has negative effects or not. From what I know it is pretty inert, however, there have been posts in the past about it being carcinogenic...I just wonder if it is my problem. It is just normal brownish play sand. I love the look of it but if it is the problem It would be worht the headach to get rid of theHA. I have spent hours plucking...

I just can't understand why I am still battling it.