Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Clams - What and If I should feed them? Reefroids? Suggestions?

Hi,

Got myself 3 nice Crocea clams over the weekend. They are all doing great and settling into their new home nicely. My question is should I and do I need to feed them. I have kept clams before around 1997-1998 and they all did well and then would suddely start to die after about 4-8 mths. But during that time I never feed them. My current tank is a 90 gal mix corals. My SPS and LPS are all doing fantastic, calcium is at 440 ppm and all other parameters are where the general aquarist would consider good. Lighting consist of two 250 W 10K bulbs. Would squirting them with Reefroids or Cyclopeeze 2/3 times a week have any benefit? Do they need to eat or is the photosynthesis thing enough for them. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

I'll post pics tonight!

I have no idea what's in reefroids, if it says it's clam food then maybe.

Baby clams filter out & eat phyto. If you're not sure about reef roids, Ivan sells sprayed dried phyto specifically as a clam food. You might want to look into it.

I've never heard of a clam eating cyclops-eese. Could just be me, but comparing the particle size, cyclops-eese is gigantic vs. phtyo.

How big are the clams?

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Phyto is the ultimate food for clams. thats all you need to feed them and let your lights take care of the rest.i target feed my clams with phyto a couple times a week. they all seem to being really well. i also put in micro vert once every 2 weeks(filter feeder food).

I have only ever fede baby clams >3". After they reach 3" they don't require any supplemental feedings to grow and prosper. So if your clams are small then sure feed them. But be careful many of the "mico" foods are easy to over feed your system. Thats worse than not feeding at all.
    Jason

when spot feeding do you guys turn off the pumps for the clams?

i use the bottle method so i don't have too. but i do turn off my skimmer for a couple hours to let everything feed when i take out the bottle

my clams are about 2.5 to 3.0 inches. I'll check out the phyto stuff from Ivan. Ivan, you have any at the moment?

Sponsor - Ottawa Inverts
    I find that my clams do not tend to like it when I feed the tank reefroids. They have a tendency to pump the particles out.

ijo
    hebdo27: we are currently out but do expect more to arrive on Wed.

IJO

actually i've been reading the latest clam book " Giant Clams in the Sea & Aquarium" by James Fatherree and there is no 'need' to feed any sized clam. clams can survive on light alone, as long as they are getting enough. if you have a few fish in the tank, you are also producing nutrients for the clam.

that said, i have 3 clams and dose phyto three time a week. i usually just shut of my skimmer ( and clean it ) and let the phyto circulate. its not only good for your clams but it helps to boost your pod population.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast