Best Macro for a fuge

Hi, most peeps these days are using Cheatomorpha for nutrient export but would like opinions on say "the next best". I want to use 2 different types of macro in my fuge that will be divided into 2 sections but share a common water column.

thanks

liv
    Most of the ones we see in the hobby do what we call a chemical warfare. if broken. eaten, threatened or reproduction time, they release harmful chemicals in the water. usually doesn't do much, but...

Mangroves are great and a nice looking plant. their roots are the perfect home for a bunch of types of pods and do not leach back any chemicals in the water. only maintenance you gotta do is water the leaves from time to time to remove the excess salt and remove the dead leaves before they fall into the water. They do not need much to grow, some regular fluorescent tubes or metal halides on the yellow side of the kelvin does great. I got a bunch of mangroves and I use 6x 4' NO tubes, and 1x 70w 10k metal halide. they do not need a substate either, you can suspend them in water as long as the leafy end sticks out of the water by a few inches its perfect.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Hi, most peeps these days are using Cheatomorpha for nutrient export but would like opinions on say "the next best". I want to use 2 different types of macro in my fuge that will be divided into 2 sections but share a common water column.
    the only other macro i would grow would be Red Gracilaria for fish food, it is sometimes refereed to as 'tang delight'.

i don't like the caulerpa's because they can go sexual and they release toxins when damaged. you can keep them from going sexual by 24hr lighting and regular pruning but thats just a pain in the butt.

the other real bonus for the Chaetomorpha is that it doesn't take root in the sand bed like the other macro's. so you don't disturb the sand while trimming, which is best done out of the water.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

BWI
    yea i have mangroves in my sump with the roots in the sand and mine i have had for a fews now and it has just reached the water surface and is just about to be above it.. Growing very nicely with just those HD twisty 5500k bulbs and a cheap desk lamp.

Building Quality not Quantity

liv
    the top part should be above the water surface. but if it works under.. interesting
    you should see how the roots intertwine together. I have about 160 of them in about 16" x 36" rack.. the rooks are about 6" long and it makes a great bubble barrier as well as a huge breeding ground for pods.. at night with a flashlight.. its crazy!

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30