Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Noobie with live rock problem

Hey guys, i just started up my 65 gallon tank a week and a half ago, i put live sand and live rock in it (not fully cured, LFS said it still had 2-3 weeks to go) and after having the live rock in for 3 days now theres a really cool lime green colour spreading throughout the rock, its on there just like the coraline, I'm trying to figure out if this is a good or bad thing? its starting to spread farely fast, heres some pics... haha i'm trying to figure out how to post pics but its not going to well.... anyhelp? thanks!

Me again

i think I figured it out.... heres a pic....

aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/showphoto.php?photo=3674&cat=527

It's hard to tell from that pic but it looks like green coraline algae to me. HTH
    Equipment: 150 Gallon glass 60"x24"x24" | 75 Gallon Sump / duplex | 150lbs Indo live rock | MSX200 on order | 3x250w HQI Giesmann 14500K & 2x54w T5HO Aquascience 22K | 2 vortech WWDRO/DI

I wouldn't worry about it. As the rock cures and you system cycles you will go through a variety of algae colors. Brown diatoms will cover everything for a while. The key is to leave it sit and just monitor your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate to know where in the cycle you are. Once you get through the initial cycle you can throw in a cleanup crew (variety of snails, hermit crabs, etc) and they will clean the rocks up for you.

Just remember to be patient and everything will go well.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

so then that would be a good thing right? i'm already starting to get worried and it hasn't even been 2 weeks haha. heres a couple more close up pics....

http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...o=3675&cat=527

http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...o=3676&cat=527

http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...php/photo/3677

http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...o=3678&cat=500

Its seems to be mostly growing on spots that would not have light on them, I'm corrently only turning my lights on for 2 hours at most a day though, so i don't see how it would really make a difference.?

Ya, like every one else said wait till your cycle is done which means that your nitrite and nitrate should be down to zero and then if you still have some unresolved problem you should ask question. It is also good to ask questions there are no dumb questions here! Speaking of which, you should post some pictures of your aquascaping!

Oh and welcome to aquaria!

thanks for all the help guys and a warm welcome!
    I posted about 4 more pics but theyre awaiting moderation? so hopefully they'll be up soon.
    I have 2 more questions for all of you... how mg/L of ammonia,nitrite, and nitrate is the max before I should perform a water change during the curing process to bring the levels down?
    And 2ndly, there is a film on the water surface (first thought to me was it looks like a pollution or sorts) I do not have a protein skimmer and was hoping nto get away without one, would frequent water changes take care of this?
    Thanks for all the help in advance!

you might be able to veiw the other pic on my profile...

http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...00&ppuser=3135

Do not do a water change during the curing process as that will just make it take longer. The film on the water surface is because you do not have an overflow or surface skimming protein skimmer. Dissolved organics is attracted to the water surface and will accumulate there. One thing I've heard you can do is drag a paper towel over the surface to suck it up.
    Equipment: 150 Gallon glass 60"x24"x24" | 75 Gallon Sump / duplex | 150lbs Indo live rock | MSX200 on order | 3x250w HQI Giesmann 14500K & 2x54w T5HO Aquascience 22K | 2 vortech WWDRO/DI

BWI
    to me it looks like just algae.. no worries..

Building Quality not Quantity

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast