Green hair algae due to phosphate

Well i see that i have a spike in phosphate again and the hair algae is controlling my tank. Does anyone have a good remedy for the phosphate? I am using phosban without a reactor and it hold the level for a week or two but then look out, I am not sure where the phospahe is coming from, for now just looking to eliminate it. Does a sea hare do a good job on hair algae? I knw the emerald crabs grow to like the mysis shrimp instead of the algae.

i think maybe the protien skimmer i am using is not good, although i do get a cup of green a day.

Just got rid of a bad case of green hair algae using a sea hare. I reduced my feedings (every three days now) as well as my photo period. Took about two weeks to get rid of most of it. There's still traces but ther manageable. I also have a phosban reator running most of the time now which will keep it under control I'm sure.

liv
    ya.. cutting down on the source of phosphate is the way to go.. then u can use grasers to clean up the tank. sea hares are great at that.
    you could also setup a refugium and grow algea

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Turbo snails are good too. Get a shwack of them.
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

I'm happy to report that I'm slowly getting rid of my hair algae outbreak. What I did?

- Limited feeding. I feed only limited amounts and no flakes. I feed only stuff that sinks to the bottom and that way my scavengers can get to it if my fish don't.

- Reduced my photo period.

- Leave my refugium light on 24/7. My cheato has been doing a good job of taking all of the nitrates in the tank and any phosphates (if any but I don't think so)

- Manually remove as much of it as you can and keep your pumps and skimmer clean.

Good luck

It sounds like you have it under control but,
    If Phosphate continues to be problematic please check out My thread On Tailored Aquatics Phosphate Destroyer. Here is the link to the thread for more info http://aquariacanada.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13647

Quote Originally Posted by TailoredAquatics View Post
    It sounds like you have it under control but,
    If Phosphate continues to be problematic please check out My thread On Tailored Aquatics Phosphate Destroyer. Here is the link to the thread for more info http://aquariacanada.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13647
    Yes good point tailored aquatics, a bit of sugar water will definitely help with any nuisance algea, takes some experimenting and better to go slow.
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER