Question Not enough inside the tank

Hi, I just start this hobby and I love it so much. I had a 56gal tank with Sump and a skimmer, my problem is I bought some base rock from my friend (around 40lbs) and some live rock from bigals (10lbs). However, after I run the tank about 3 month, my Live Rock look like "dying". Should I add more live rock for that (but I don't have any more space). And my rock kind of not really changing color (just some of them changed red). Any advise from you guys and thanks for the help!
    :028:

It ain't about how you hit, it is about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward

Not sure what you mean by dying, if its turning red thats good, it means the coralline algae is growing. If the rock was uncured rock there could have been stuff on it from when it was harvested, algae, tube worms, crustations, etc, these will die off and decompose as the rock cures, this is normal. Curing is basically just the stuff that died on the rock during shipping rotting away. after that the rock is left with bacteria and some hardier life (hitch hikers). As the rock matures more coralline will grow and you will get more pruple color to the rock, the good stuff on the live rock will spread to the base rock and it will become live rock as well over a few months.
    120 gal reef-90 gal sump/refuge
    120 gal planted tropical
    120 gal planted catfish/arrowana tank

Thanks for your reply. Right, my base rock and "live rock" kind of like no algae, tube worm and I "think" they don't even have bacteria. That's the reason I said it is dying. I did run it few month so I will try to keep runing it. So, my question again is do we have anything that I can increase coraline level?

It ain't about how you hit, it is about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward

as long as it's in water there WILL be bacteria on it, its on the rock, in the rock, that is what does all the good and the main reason to use live rock. There are products to increase coralline growth but i have never tried them. As for no algae, the green kind, thats good, you dont want algae overtaking your rock. Try testing for phosphate (that will slow coraline growth) and calcium (needed for it to grow)
    120 gal planted tropical

liv
    you can always kick start base rock faster with a piece of live rock.
    once the LR in with the BR, scratch the surface of the LR where coraline is and it will help spread it around at the water flow will send it everywhere.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Thanks guys, I am so happy to join this site because people really helping each other. Thanks for all the tips. Anyway, I use the live rocks to kick start the base rocks already, how long do you think it will take for the "base rocks" become a LR again. Also, I never use the tester but I knew that the PH should be = 8, right? and what is the best reading for the calcium?

the base rock will become live pretty fastin that it will start growing the good bacteria right away, its "live rock" long before it looks like it is. Ph i think is ideal around 8.2 or so, it will vary some though, calcium around 450, other stuff to test for, nitrate as close to 0 as possible 0.5 is OK usually, phosphate you want 0, but testing is unreliable at low levels so just try to get it as low as you can, growing macro algae in a sump/refugium will help with removing both. What else is in your tank right now? is there any livestock or just the rock?
    120 gal planted tropical

I just setup a in tank refugium last Wednesday, I wish that can help something. Right now I had 2 clowns, 4 green chromis, around 6 assorted hermits (original 10, just don't know where are they now, I believed some of them die). 10 snails, 2 cleaner shrimp and one blood shrimp. Around 40 lbs base rock and 10 lbs base rock. I run this around 3 months.

I had a octopus protien skimmer and I use filter socks bag to do the filtering. My tank look very fine right now and I just feel it is "too clean". That's the reason I asked those question, I just go and check it out and I can tell that some of the base rock start to have some carolline now, which is a good sign for me.

So my next question is, I like to have some pod in my tank, do you know what is the best way for that? Should I buy something on the web? I just so sorry about the water quality about that product.

If you can get your hands on a fistfull od macro algae form someone that has an established tank it will most likely have lots of pods in it and seed your tank. They will come in time anyway, take your time and have patience, if the tank looks "too clean" youre doing everything right. If youre at 3 months and the tank looks good it means youre well on your way
    120 gal planted tropical

Thanks Dozerman, this is great help. I will have my patience.