Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

live vs frozen foods

are live foods healthier for fish? or are they just used in cases where the fish will not accept the frozen. most of the frozen foods are enriched which would make me think they would be healthier (not to mention easier to keep) for the fish.
    Albert
    My Photos

Niether one.. lol, By feeding them live and frozen foods like this its alot of fat and protien being put into the water.

Ideally you want to use a High grade Flake food such as Omega One brand food. VibraGrow, and spruniaflakes.

i only feed frozen foods once maybe twice a week.

flake foods are a thousand times easier - but i thought they should only be used when lazy as frozen foods are better,
    thank you for clearing this up for me.
    Ocean nutrition and kent are also considered good quality dry foods?
    Albert
    My Photos

See the thing is unlike frozen foods where all the brand names are pretty much the same.. Flake foods are different.. you just Need to get a High quality flake food.. they can be pricey but are just as good for your fish.. with less muckying up the water.. gotta remember like feeding live foods most frozen foods are high in Fatty acids bd high in Crude Protien and crude fat..

The stuff i use all the time is..

Omega One Marine fakes ( Made from 100% fresh seafood)
    a 62G container cost around $12 here and last me a couple of months.

order has been placed.
    is that all you feed them?
    Albert
    My Photos

that is the main source of food.. I do feed some frozen foods once a week or 2..

But too feed frozen foods on a daily biases would be what would be adding to your algae problem! ..

i agree. b/c most of the frozen food breaks up and disolves into the water, only to feed the algae.
    Albert
    My Photos

Since We are the producers of Live food we can't sit here and not say anything on the subject.

What's beter? We strongly beleive that live food is better.
    However we have to be realistic and say that the ability of most to feed their tanks only using Live Food is not likly going to happen.

One of the best things about live food is it does not fowl your water. If it is not consumed it will remain in the tank to either reproduce or until it is consumed.

As for the enrichment factor. We enrich our food beofre it is shipped to ensure that your tank inhabitants get all the nutrients it needs.

From a cost factor, Live food is more than non live as there is a very short shelf life. not to mention the cost to produce the food on a large scale.

All in all a good mix of Live, flake and even some frozen will provide a very good diverse feeding to your tank.

We have some liks to articals on our web site at http://www.ReefCrew.com

Although I would love to say you can pick some of ou food up I see that you are located in the USA and curently we are not able to ship outside Canada Directly.

Hope this helps a bit.
    Your Source For Live Marine Food

Does frozen food hold the same nutritional value as it's equivalent in live? (ie: live shrimp compared to frozen shrimp)
    I believe that as fish all have different nutritional needs and don't eat the same thing in the sea everyday then a varied diet would work best.
    I have a couple of fish that won't touch flake or pellets, and I have to feed them frozen or live everyday and I've not had an algae outbreak due to this, and it's not always all eaten.
    How can you grow live food at home?
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Talking IT DEPENDS

I believe as does Tiff, and a few other thousand that a varied diet is the best! I feed frozen,flake,pellets. NORI,and would love to start live but right now cost is a factor.All the fish I have like a mixture. Some won't even look at flake while others shun frozen. My ROYAL GRAMMA will only eat Mysis,scallops and red flakes![he thinks hes a rock star] while my POWDER BROWN will not touch flakes but will devour NORI and Mysis. My lawnmower loves film algea and assorted crap. Ya get the picture.Now, on the point of frozen adding fat and protiens to the water all foods will do this if they are not consumed and hence running a skimmer. Most fats in the frozen are what you want your fish to be eating!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast