Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chaetomorpha

Chaetomorpha

I got some of this brillo pad algae from Ivan with our order before Christmas. It is great refugium algae! It has tripled in size and the pods and worms love it- to live in, not to eat. It doesn't go asexual, and you can actually hang it from the side of a tank with a suction cup if you want because it is so wiry. ANyone in ARRG that wants some can get soem from me at the next meeting.
    Gail in Nova Scotia

Sounds good Gail.I should have the refugium setup by then.

Andrew

I got a good amount of Chaetomorpha about 3 weeks ago. But, it's not doing too well. i am wondering what you do to get it growing?

My 29G tank is quite new (late Nov.2003), I have 35 lbs LR and 2x75W VHO. There are two occelaris clowns and a few snails. Parameters are all good (sg=1.024, Ammonoia=0, 'trites=0, 'trates=1.5). I have an HOB refugium from Harely where I put the algae. Lighting on the refugium is not good (13w household PC). I wondered if the lighting was inadequate so I moved the algae into the main tank but without nuch success. Is there such a thing as 'too clean' water for algae?

Suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
    Nick

Mine is hanging in the refugium from an algae clip right on the surface where it will get the most light. I have a clip on light- 40 watts - above it. Sounds like maybe it just needs more light.
    Gail in Nova Scotia

A 40w incandescent? Would a 'grow light' be appropriate?
    Nick

Yep- 40 watt incandescent. It is clipped to the side of the refugium. A grow light should be great.
    Gail in Nova Scotia

Nick,
    Get one of those Home Depot curly type 23w PC lights. It's equivelant to 90w incandescant. The more light you give algaes, the better it will grow. With any thick macros such as the Chaetomorpha ( which Harley got from me by the way), they need lots of light so that it can penetrate through the algae into the center mass of it. Did you acclimate the algae when you got it? Most people don't know, but macros are just as sensitive as any other livestock and can become stressed to the point of dying if just thrown in a new/different water system. It IS always possible to have "too clean" water, but I doubt it. If anything, it would probably simply grow much slower if there's a low nutrient level in the tank.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Another bulb to consider is this one:

I've been hearing good things about it recently. Here's a quote from MELEV's site:

What I like about this bulb is I didn't have to use a reflector any more, because this floodlight-bulb has one internally. No heat issues to cause the ceramic base to overheat, and the plants are thriving.

The first bulb cost me $7, but this one seems so much better. Plus it is very easy to wipe off the floodlight bulb!
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

I did the regular acclimatization process. The light I am using came from HD. I think it has a 13W PC bulb. I have some of the 23W bulbs (I use them for regular room lighting). They have a very low 'K' rating Will they still be OK for growth?

Tang_man, where can you get those bulbs? Looks interesting but I'm not sure how I would position it above an HOB 'fuge.
    Nick

This thread is making me think I might have overdone it a bit with a 55 gal fuge and 220watts of VHO. Has anybody fried this stuff with too much light?

Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast