Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Liquid Life Coral Plankton Clinical Trials

The Liquid Life products are new to Aquaria Canada, and Ivan has been given test samples, which he then gave to various people (including myself). I've created this thread for those "testers" to post their thoughts on the product, as to my understanding, the supplier will be reading this.

I started dosing the Coral Plankton (according to the directons on the bottle) to my tank one week ago today.

Tank Stats:

55 Gallon, no sump, HOB skimmer, HOB refugium.

Fish:
    7 fish (Lawnmower blennie, Yellow Watchman gobie, Orchid dottyback, a pair of Percs, and a pair of Talbot Damsels).

Corals:
    Various matting corals, mushrooms/ricoridia, LPS (sun, blastomosa, Caulsastrea, frogspawn) and leathers (soon to add a monti cap frag).

I currently dose bio calcium, DT's, Kent iodine, and Kent Coral Vite.

Initial Observations:

Packaging:

I really like the squirt nozzel on the bottle. No muss, no fuss. Mine works just fine and beats having to pour out "cap fulls" etc.

Smell:

It smells horrible, which in salt water aquarium terms, means the stuff in your tank will probably like it.

When I dose, the fish intitially react, which I assume means that they can "smell" it because is in liquid form and the fish can't eat it.

The corals appear to have no reaction. The don't necessarily open up more or anything.

One possible thing I expect to get from this product, is a reaction from my Sun Coral. Right now when I feed Cyclop Eaze, my sun coral opens up within half an hour just from the "smell". So far I have not noticed this reaction from the coral plankton, but I admit further testing is required.

Otherwise, at this time, no noticable changes.

liv
    I was also given a sample for testing.
    mine did not have any labels or papers that came with the bottle. and I believe Ivan gave me the cyclopease .. but not sure.

the squirt nozzle does not work at all on mine.. I even tried priming it.. no go.. I tried with water.. works fine. I think the stuff is just too thick to be pumped. ( they got a 100% for density thats for sure !! )

as for a reaction, the fish seem to notice it right away. specially the damsels and tang. not much reaction from my blenny or clowns.. but I believe the gobies might be picking at it . The corals at first did seem like they were opening up more then usuall.. but now.. they seem to be wide open all the time.. so can't gauge if this is the reason why. what ever i'm doing they seem to like it.

The stuff does not smell and is of a redish color.
    To fix the squirt problem, I got seringes at my local Jean-Coutu.

Tank Stats:

130 Gallon, 30g sump, Harley skimmer, 350w MH / 160NO.
    current water stats: 8.5ph, calc 340, 82F, ~1.026.

Fish:
    10 fish (1 Lawnmower blennie, 2 Yellow stripped gobies, 2 tomato clowns, 3 damsels, 1 Y.tang, 1 anthias).

Corals:
    frogspaws ( green and brown form ), 1 hammer, ~6 hairy muchrooms, ~4 blue muchrooms, 1 orange digita,

inverts:
    ~40 various snails, ~15 various crabs, ~10 slugs

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Thanks for your post Liv, but could you please create a new thread for the cyclopeze, and copy your post there.

I think we should have four seperate threads for each type of Liquid Life product, so that results, observations and opinions can be grouped per product.

liv
    ok ./ will do that now.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

So far... too early to tell anything except... the pump sucks the big one!!! Blocked up after 1 squirt and I now use the pump straw as a dipstick to get the stuff out!!!

ijo
    Greg... the coral plankton is stored in the refrigerator... not the freezer... (hehe just checking). The sample I am testing out seem to work great... so far this one is a :thumb: in my books... I'll wait a couple more weeks before giving my final opinion.

IJO

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    There is one that has to be kept in the freezer.. which one is it? I'm not at home right now to read the label.

One clearly says KEEP IN REFRIGERATOR, while the other says KEEP IN FREEZER.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

ijo
    Bio and cyclop in the freezer and coral in the refrigerator

My pump still works just fine.

The coral plankton is stored in the fridge, and the phyto is stored in the freezer. I have not yet used my phyto sample, as I will start a seperate trial once the coral plankton one is finished (I also have to use up the rest of my DT's first).

I've been using the coral plankton now for a few weeks. I can't really say I've noticed any changes in coral growth, but I can say that my tank has never looked better in terms of over-all health, but this could be attributed to many factors including the refugium I installed at Christmas time, and the lighting upgrade I did in Jan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast