Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Live food increasing Nitrates + Nori increasing algae..

I've been feeding live food to the fishies for a week now and my nitrAtes have gone from 0ppm to 10ppm. I fed them less when feeding live, and all food was eaten as far as I could see. Is this linked?
    Also I started to put Nori sheets (cut into quarters) into the tank for veggie supplement, and have found that I have green algae, this from a tank that had none, infact I was concerned I didn't have enough algae, thus the Nori sheets, why does the Nori cause algae?
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

When you say you are feeding live food can you please provide the items that you are feeding as well as the quantities you are feeding at.

How big is your tank?
    How is it stocked?
    Your Source For Live Marine Food

Hello

Like mentioned above what type and how much would be good to know. Also the Nori isn't causing the algae(at least not directly) it's the nitrate spike that is doing that.

Stan

Tif, I've heard that you should remove Nori if hasn't been eaten after 2 hours.. is all the Nori eaten up?
    (by the way GREAT SHOES!)
    I've noticed that raising kids & fish are similar: Patience & dedication really pays off!

The Nori was eaten overnight by 2 snails that liked it.. But now that they've had their fill, it's not fully eaten after 4 days and I remove it from the tank, and stopped putting it in about a week ago as nobody liked it.
    The live food was brine shrimp 2 serves a day, it's hard to quantify a measure, but not enough to to stop the fish from bugging me for food all the time. (They don't normally do this)
    And say 10 blood worms for 3 days once a day so the c/band would eat, and when he started to eat the brine shrimp I stopped the blood worms as I know they can decay in the tank, and not being of salt water origin, they die fairly quickly. though he did seem to ferret out the dead ones.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

Coral
    Fabulous avatar!!!!!

The blood worms could be decaying in your tank and thus the nitrate is up.

Before you feed the brine shrimp to you rinse them first or are you adding brine shrimp and culture water to your tank?

if you are adding the culture water than this is likly the cause of the nitrate as well as the posibility of some brine shrimp that have dies while in your tank.

Although your Ntrate is at 10ppm is your amonia up as well?

if it is just your nitrates that are up then I would not worry too much as in time your sytem will balance it's self out to compensate.

I caught the shrimp in a net and then dumped them in the tank. So no rinsing. I haven't tested the ammonia, as I wasn't too worried, but shall do so in the morning as a precaution. Do you rinse in RO or NSW? And am I correct in that you said nitrates kill brine shrimp?
    What's the best way to keep live brine shrimp alive for the longest period of time? I just put them in a 2 litre jug with an air-stone. (as per RS) and they all seemed to live for the 4 or 5 days. I didn't feed them as I didn't put a filter on the jug, (no room) I have a bigger container to use if needed.

I was not saying that the Nitrates kill the brine shrimp, I should have been more clear.

What I ment to say is depending on the amount of BBS you are adding to your tank at one time you may have some die off from them getting chopped up through any powerheads that may be in your system. those that get chopped up will begin to decompose in your system.

As far as a quick wash of the BBS before adding to your tank It really does not matter if you use RO or NSW as it is a quick rinse although NSW would probably be better if you have it on hand.

You also mentioned that you do not feed your BBS yet you leave them in a container for 4-5 days. If you are not feeding them within a few hours of hatching then you are providing almost no nutritional value to the tank inhabitants that eat them. The BBS will consume their yoke sacs and then they become only a source of food transport.

24 hours after being hatched you will need to feed them somehting like phytoplankton to keep the nutrition in them available for the fish and coral.

You have to remember that you are adding something new to your tank and with any new addition it has to be done slowly in order for your tank to adjust to the new item.

As I said before it it is just your Nitrates that are high then not to worry as within a couple of weeks your tank will adjust.

One thing to remember though is if you see a spike and then you stop feeding all together as you have the fear of an outbreak this is not good either as your tank was out of balance from the addition of the food and is trying to adjust now that you stopped your tank will also be out of balance and again will take time to adjust. Then your tank looks fine, you begin to feed again and the cycle continues.

You may cut back a bit on the amount you feed but don't stop feeding. I will be honest and say your tank will probably look like crap for a few weeks while your tank adjusts but it will work its self out.

The introduction of new things can in a sense create a mini cycle in your tank and with a mini cycle you may get unwanted algaes but your tank will balance in time.

Hope this helps.

Thanks that was alot more helpful, the RS told me that the Nori was causing the algae!!! So the clarification you provided is wonderful, (the RS are confusing sometimes!!!) The BShrimp were about 3mm - 4mm long, I am aware that they need to be fed, (as all animals) but couldn't get phyto anywhere, I guess it's of the internet now (most here do that, as all the RS don't stock it!amazing) and I was told they don't need feeding....(the excuse for not stocking!!!)
    BS above 72 hrs old will consume the phyto more efficiently, and thus be a more nutritious food. Is this correct? I am assuming by the size, they were at least at this age.
    what type of water should they be kept in? Are they salt or fresh? and then what filter?
    Sorry for all the questions... But it's better to ask, and sometimes I'm just plain curious....and sometimes I have NFI, or just need a hand to consolidate all the info, and "sort the RS from the shovel".....Thanks..
    Oh, and no ammonia...and the nitrates are down to 5ppm, no W/C. These days I tend to see what happens b4 doing anything, and ask Qn's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast