Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: feeding 2 fish

feeding 2 fish

I just got 2 ocellaris fish. The only 2 fish in my tank. I am quite unsure on how much to feed them. I know that some of you overfeed your fish. What is the right amount per fish. I have been feeding twice a day 1 pinch of flakes. I also have brine shrimp cubes(frozen) they are pretty big. Do i put them froozen in my tank and how much of it do i put?

I've been told that salt water fish will eat until they are full and then stop eating... add a bit of food every 15-30 mins and as long as they keep eating it there is no harm.
    ======================
    sold the 77gallon back in 2005, looking to setup a nano

nbreau is right - for most fish. There are some that will literally eat themselves to death. Tangs, lionfish and a few others. However, clownfish aren't usually big pigs. I'd feed them tiny amounts of a variety of food. Good nutrition will keep them healthy and their colours bright. Twice a day is probably plenty for clowns. Three times would be better if you're home to do it.

My ocellaris LOVE mysis frozen shrimp and bloodworms. Brine shrimp isn't very nutritious, it's like junk food for fish. They all seem to love it but there's not much in it they can use.
    Susan

my clowns (as well as butterfly) also love thawed scallops.
    ======================
    sold the 77gallon back in 2005, looking to setup a nano

tangs can eat themselves to death? mine stops eating when he is full.
    some brine shrimp are enriched with vitamins, those would probably be better than the regular ones.
    Albert
    My Photos

its also better to let the cube melt in a little cup of tank water first - but i've dumped frozen cubes in my tank with no ill effects.
    Albert
    My Photos

my clowns seem difficult. They eat flakes like crazy. But when i give them brine shrimp the hardly eat any. One of the clowns didn't even touch the shrimp. Also they seem to be grazing all day on the sides of the tank going up then down and changing sides. I think they are eating pods. But is it normal for them to do this all day?
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

No worries, brine shrimp has very little nutritional value. Most flakes are actually better. Hard to say what's normal for clowns, they are pretty silly fish Mine spent the first month in love with a powerhead, they barely left it. Grazing is definitely normal.

Try them with some frozen mysis shrimp. Almost all fish love this stuff and it's very healthy for them.
    Susan

I guess i shouldn't have ever listened to the guy at big als who told me that they feed them brine shrimp and they love it. I will go buy some mysis. What do i do with the brine shrimp? are there fish that eat it and love it or should i throw it away
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

just save it for other fish you may have difficulty feeding - y not
    Albert
    My Photos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast