Thread: Sea Squirt?

Sea Squirt?

Hi Everyone, I'm looking for help identifying this. They are all over my 'fuge' but especially in the chamber that takes the overflow from the tank. I tried photographing them in the 'fuge' but those pic's didn't turn out very well. They are anchored and don't move (at least I have seen them move) and are definitely alive. Thought it might be a sponge (Porifera) but I really don't know.

BTW I know it's an eraser ... the help I need is to id the little whitish thing below it ... LOL

BTW I know it's an eraser ... the help I need is to id the little whitish thing below it ... LOL

slo hand.... do they move by some sort of self locomotion? or do they move by water current? I think I may have seen the same things at my workplace
    Health Before All :wink5:

When they're in the tank do they look like little puffballs with crowns? If so they are a type of sponge common in the lower flow areas. They are normally seen in fairly young tanks and often disappear on thier own in time. They are harmless.
    Susan

When their in the tank they are onion shaped and I find them in the HIGH flow area's ... especially right in the first stage of my sump/refuge. They do not appear to have any locomotion. I had posted this question a while back and yes Flame_Angel, I believe they are a sponge. On a related matter, I had also asked for an ID of this in another thread (http://aquariacanada.com/forums/show...ighlight=jello) ... I've observed that it also has an openning (mouth) that pulses (open and closed) sucking food particles in I presume. Would this also be a sponge?

Thanks
    Lawrence

That's exactly what I was suspecting they were Angel!
    Health Before All :wink5:

yeh whatever reef bizzy
    We need more Indians!

:biggrinbo
    We need more Indians!