Thread: Live food!

Live food!

Didn't know where to put this thread but live food is exactly what I just feed my Sally Lightfoot (Percnon gibbesi)! I put three peppermint shrimp in the tank last night hoping that they would help in my aptasia (sp?) problem. Low and behold this morning the small remains of three ($10 each) peppermint shrimps. I had asked at the LFS if any of my creatures would eat them and got a 'no' ... well that's was a tough $30 lesson .... do your research before you purchase! I didn't ... obviously!

D'oh! :crap:

Sally light foot crabs are NOT reef safe. It's a big misconception.
    -Dazz

Not quit sure where you're getting your info Dazz, but I've had a sally lightfoot for 2 years without a problem. That inculdes having various types of shrimp as tank mates. I would be very suprised if Ms. Lightfoot was the culprit

I wish I kept the link. I will try to find it, it was from reef keeping magazine I believe.
    -Dazz

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    I agree with Dazz...

I'll try to find the link, Sally's are indeed NOT as reefsafe as everyone imagines.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

ok... there are always the opposite ends of any spectrum. With that said .... it has nothing to do with imagination.... If anything the deffinition of "reef safe" itself is left to the interpretation of each reef keeper. Wich is to say that just because some publication says that sally lightfoots/feet are not reef safe does not mean it is part the gospel of the reefers bible. As with ALL things in the animal kindom there will always be something that feeds on something else. Anyone with a Manderin Goby knows that it feeds on pods..... does that make it "reef unsafe"????? I think not. the questions is can we afford to feed something a little higher on the aqua food chain.
    Slohand found out that something is his tank ate better (money wise) than he did last night because he didn't do his homework (sorry man) And even if he did the information he used to make his desision would not be a stead fast, bet the farm, money back option. I personaly saw my yellow tang ( A know vegetarian) seek and destroy my my blood shrimp. Again, It ate better that I did that night. I might just as well have offered it a glass of wine and a bib.
    ANYWAY ... I digress... my point is that there always is differances from tank to tank and the personalities from animal to animal

I might just as well have offered it a glass of wine and a bib.
    :lol:

Yup, there are exceptions to most rules, agreed. I find the sally lightfoot to have be a fantastic addition to my tank. He's never hassle anyone in the tank (until now). He's got along with my two cleaner shrimp, emerald crabs, blue legged, left legged, nassarius, asteria snails ..... and what a lawnmower!

he didn't do his homework (sorry man)
    The only reference i've found (after the fact) is ..."can get semi-agreesive towards other inverts." THAT should have be enough to put up a red light. Oh well.

mine never attacked my pepermint shrimps. perhaps he never got that hungry or is just better behaved.
    Albert
    My Photos

Ok so I found one of the links I was looking for.

The quote that is of use to this discussion is:

Grapsids, including the true Sally Lightfoot Crabs, are uncommon in aquaria except for the Percnon species misnamed in the aquarium trade as sally lightfoot crabs , but others do show up on live rock from time to time. They are characterized by a basically trapezoidal or squarish body, often with angled shoulders. They may be very fast and difficult to catch, and they are often quite destructive of mobile animal life in aquaria. They are quite capable of catching and eating fishes, for example.
    http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-12/rs/index.htm

-Dazz

Doies the possiblity exist here that perhaps one or more of your peppermint shrimps molted, and what appear to be dead pieces of shrimp are just the molted exoskeleton.

I've always found peppermint shrimp to be quite shy and hide in the rocks for extended periods of time after adding them to a tank.