Thread: Cyanp bacteria

Cyanp bacteria

I have a 55 gal aquarium. Alli have in ther right now is 10 magarita snails, and a chocolate starfish. I have a huge cyano bacteria problem, how do i get ride of it???

Cool

WELCOME MITCH, sounds like a new tank. Its not uncommon for a newer tank to go thru this.things to look out for are.
    make sure you have pretty good flow,
    try to get an RO/DI unit as soon as possible as better water quality is a good start,
    make sure the water flow can move freely around the rockwork[no packed wall of rock],
    you have no fish or corals so cut your light way back like maybe run them 6 hours max for now.

were abouts in orleans are you?? I live there as well and could pop by,keep an eye out for the MASO forum here at AC as we have meetings every few months. lots of fun.

Welcome!! listen to Johnny he knows his stuff..

Also i had Cyno for the first 3 months in my new tank.. and then it dissappeared.. like Johnny said make sure you have good water circulation and also you might want to mix up your cleaning crew.. grab a few different snails and hermits if you want.. just make sure you have spare shells for the hermits..

also make sure your lights are on a timer so they are consistant.. i started my tank on a 5 hour a day lighting period then as my nitrites were lowering and nitrate started appearing (end of cycle) i extended my light hours to 8 hours and after cycle finished i added corals/fish im up to 10 hours a day.. i also use store bought RO water till i can afford ro/di.. which is comming real soon!!!

hope that helps!!

Cool

Like a wise man once said, ''I only know what I's know''

Also keep up with the water changes to get rid of the nutrients in the water. Maybe do bigger water changes for a while. You can also try to use a turkey baster to take some of it out but keep in mind that unless you address the other issues mentioned above it will just keep comming back. I started my tank about 1.5 months ago and I do have a little cyano ... like johny said it's normal to have some with a new tank.

Ohh yeah and Welcome to Aquaria.ca

Steph

I had the cyano problem for 2 months straight. I think it was caused by the extended power outage when my water temp dropped to 63 degrees. I tried everything from, water flow, ecosystem with macro, more clean up crew, lighting, phospate pads, charcole, feeding every other day, etc. and nothing seemed to work. It got so bad that it was out competing my Macros and stared suffucating some corals. My readings were all zero. I tried Chemi-Clean and in 3 days, all the cyano is gone. I now only have some diatom.

I am going through the same thing now. Between the hair algea and the cyano, I am starting to get very discouraged. I have till may 24 to get rid of it or I am in big trouble. have to go to GTA for 6 weeks and wife will not put her hands in the tank to clean. I will be back on the weekends but cyano left alone for a full week could be a huge prob. My levels are zero exept nitrate is at 20. Gotta keep cleaning and pray it is gone soon.

I had a bad run of cyano too after a powerhead fell into my dsb and blasted it all over the tank. I tried everything and after 2 months finally used chemi-clean. Worked good and has not come back so far (knock on wood).

Where does cyano come from? I've had my tank for 2 months now and I am just starting to see traces of it. I clean it off the glass but it's in the sand too.

I had cyano on just one rock with brown polyps. The polyps were doing poorly and I didn't understand why. I picked up the rock and held it in front of the powerhead and gave it a good blast for just a minute or so. The cyano got blasted to bits and I thought oops, the stuff will be all over now. But, it was more palatable to the hermits that couldn't get between the polyps with their big shells to eat the cyano. Now the polyps are spreading, I put them where they get more current, and the cyano is only a trace on the sand. Circulation as Johnnyrock says appeared to work.
    Canons shooting coconut creme
    40 guns in a steady stream. :coolmad: