Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: phytoplankton

phytoplankton

how often should we be feeding our corals? and is it better to feed more, but less often or to feed less, but more often?
    is there a significant difference between live phytoplankton and freeze dried phytoplankton?
    lastly, when i scrub my glass or rocks, or filters, etc. there is always the "green water" which goes into the water from the algae. is this also phytoplankton which the corals can enjoy. if there is a lot of this, can it be in place of feeding additional phytoplankton to the tank? does it get skimmed out by the skimmer?

-Albert

BUMP for reply

How often depends on the coral. Some, like sun corals , need to be fed daily. Others, like alot of LPS, only need to be fed once a week or so. Generally it is better to feed less more often. In nature they eat a little bit all the time.

Live phytoplankton is always best, IMO. The algae on your glass may feed some filter feeders, but it is a totally different algae from the stuff we culture. Even with the stuff we culture, there are lots of different species. ANd everyhting has its preferences. So just try to have as big a variety as you can.

Anything in suspension will eventually get skimmed out if you have a good skimmer. I often shut my skimmer down for a couple of hours after feeding fine foods like phyto or golden pearls so that the corals and pods get time to eat.
    Gail in Nova Scotia

Originally posted by MomRules
    Anything in suspension will eventually get skimmed out if you have a good skimmer.
    doesnt it only skim out "proteins" as it is a PROTEIN skimmer? are phytoplankton hydropobic/hydrophilic?
    ESV's spray dried phytoplankton claims to 'shut down' the protein skimmer when you add it to your tank as follows:
    The abundance of Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acids found in this strain of marine microalgae causes the foam in protein skimmers to collapse for a few hours allowing the algae cells longer residence time in your aquarium before being exported by skimming. (http://www.esvco.com/prod17.html)

i feed my tank live phytoplankton every day and my yellow gorgonian love it

Good point ALRHA. ANything fatty does indeed shut down the skimmer. I have only used live nannochloropsis and that has never caused the skimmer to shut down.
    Gail in Nova Scotia

Alrha,
    Feeding with live phyto would be the best choice because it does not contribute directly to any other algae buildup. Also, it is afterall "live" so it would be the most nutritious for what feeds on it. On the otherhand, it can become expensive depending on the size of your tank and how often you feed.
    You CAN feed everyday, but I would recommend keeping it in very little amounts and keep an eye out for any buildup of unwanted stuff. All feeding should be built up VERY gradual to keep it in check. You also have to remember lots of corals are actually carnivorous such as a Sun coral for example. Any of these will not eat any phyto, instead they eat what grows from consuming the phyto. It's a foodchain really and phyto is the base blocks of it all. There are other corals however that do actually eat phyto. Things such as many Gorgonians and Feather Dusters ( who are strictly phyto eaters) for example.
    There are lots, such as the ESV and Golden Pearls ( not a phytoplankton) that WILL shut down the skimmer on it's own for awhile so you could basically keep the skimmer running ( I do). I have tried numerous types of phyto's and other "coral" foodstuffs. To date, the best I have found to work for me the most has been the "ESV Spray Dried Phyto" and the "Golden Pearls" ( the smallest size however) from Brine Shrimp Direct. I am now also using the Cyclop Eeze and time will tell for me on this one. I have found that out of all of them believe it or not, the ESV gave me the biggest explosion of a multitude of microlife. My rocks literally exploded with those tiny micro F Dusters that stay tiny along with all kinds of buggies and Mysis shrimp. Ths stuff that grows on the glass can feed somethings in the tank but it should not be replacing your adding food. It is different as mentioned above by Momrules. If you look at it a diferent way, "anything" is better than nothing and I have a saying that is " It's aaaaaall good!!" If you think abvout it, even fishpoop is a coral food, and lots of people who are big time into coral keeping ( and I believe in this way of thinking too) keep their tanks stocked with fish but for feeding the corals instead of what most people think. Poop is highly organic, much the same as fertilizers we add to our gardens and it basically does the same too. However, you have to remember the golden rule that is BALANCE. You can't put more nutrients into your tank than what is being either consumed or taken out, otherwise you have the ugly outbreaks!!
    How's this for a different way of thinking??!!
    :

OMG Touche,

You're mellowing or else Natalie is editing your posts now ... :

All in all I believe you're right on the money with your analysis ... good call.

Van
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

Greg, i love it for a different way of thinking. You basically summed it all up very nicely. Karma to you!
    you said that you have found the ESV (which i use also, i tend to like their products and think they are one of the best - correct me if i am wrong) to be the best phytoplankton you use. do you even like it better than the live? and who makes the golden pearls? you are the second to mention it and i would be interested in it.
    Albert
    My Photos

Alrha,
    Aww shucks!!!:blush: :thanx:
    I like the ESV the best among the "dead" stuff. I've never used the DT's longterm enough to rate it. I am only near completion of my 1st bottle to tell you the truth. ESV was "apparantly" the 1st company to psell a prepared type of phyto from what I've been told and they have been around the longest. I think it has stood the test of time with many people. Golden Pearls can only be bought through Brine Shrimp Direct

http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/bri...m#goldenpearls

I just want to add that if you want a "coral food" you should buy the smallest size available called "Active Spheres". It is the same consistancy as the ESV and small enough to be filtered by the small mouths. THings bigger in size such as the Cyclop Eeze is more limited to things that are able to catch bigger foodstuffs such as LPS's and smaller fish or inverts.

Lambert,
    Huh??!! What??!!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast