Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Grape Caulerpa & Halimeda.sp algea problem!

Since a few week, i notice a lot of those two kind of algea coming out from my rocks that i bought it from someone else. Unfortunatly, it have spread on other rocks faster than i though! I notice that they were growing bigger and bigger so i decided to remove them thinking that i would not come back again. Now, i can see them growth back again and i really dont want them to be in my main tank... Is there anything that i can put in the tank to eat them of?

Thanks in advance!
    Richard

Hobby Experience: Newbie
    600G system, Sifligoi3x400w with ACLS units, 2xH&S A200-2x1260, Schuran Jetstream 2 Ca reactor, 4xVortech Pump, Tunze Stream 6200, Tunze Wavebox, 4xWavy Sea Plus wavemaker, Oceans Motions 4 way, Prolifux Wireless Controller, Red Sea 100mg Ozonizer, Seachem Pinnacle 200GPD RO/DI

yellow and naso tangs but you'd have to want them and there big fish. so bioload needs to be looked at.

Scarlet (Red) Legged Hermit crabs will chew on those macro algae pretty quickly too. I think (not sure) that my Emerald Crab has chewed on macro as well.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

unfortunatly, i dont want a naso or yellow tang... no hermits too since i am having snails and keeping hermits is more trouble IMO. i would be very happy if an Emerald Crab could eat it. Can someone else confirm? What about hte mithrax crab? Thanks!
    Richard

Hobby Experience: Newbie
    600G system, Sifligoi3x400w with ACLS units, 2xH&S A200-2x1260, Schuran Jetstream 2 Ca reactor, 4xVortech Pump, Tunze Stream 6200, Tunze Wavebox, 4xWavy Sea Plus wavemaker, Oceans Motions 4 way, Prolifux Wireless Controller, Red Sea 100mg Ozonizer, Seachem Pinnacle 200GPD RO/DI

Cool

well, then your gonna have to either always pull it out, or get new rock and put that in the sump. that caulerpra can out grow any crab eating it.

I've had luck with blue tangs for grape, but I've yet to find anything that will touch Hali's.
    I would look at removing the new/used rock that you got and "cook" it before re-adding it back to your tank. It may likely be adding phosphates thats feeding the algeas.

Do a search on RC for "cooking live rock" if you're unsure of whats involved.

My emerlad eats cheato when there's nothing else available. I assume it would eat other types of macro as well.

Cool

you'd need a ton! of crabs to keep up with this macro algea growth. thats why it was so popular for a refugium back then. it nows is not used.
    once in a tank it can adhere and grow like nothing you've ever seen!
    halimedia can be controled just buy pulling it out.it grows slower and needs calcium to thrive [thats another reason not to have it in a reef.]

cooking that live rock will kill the beneficial life within it, you'll then have a nice peice of base rock.

Options:
    put the rock in your sump
    pick the algae off the rock and get your in tank nutrients down to slow its regrowth
    get the fish you need to eat the macro.

That macro algae will soon spread thoughout all the rock in your tank. So decide soon. If you are going to consider boiling it then just put it into a bucket of salt water with a small power head and give it very little light. Just what it might get from a single bulb in any fixture of your house. The algae will die off slowly and some of the life in your live rock will still be there when you put it back into the tank.
    125G in wall
    2 x 250 hqi
    4 x 4' actinics
    tunze wavemaker & 6060
    2 x 1200 maxi's
    quiet one 3000

...just started of course

One day my daughter asked me for Nemo. Here we are thousands later and I'm just getting started.

ahhh, it just hit me.

urchins, black spines...they eat the stuff.

I believe I saw some at Al's, they aren't expensive and although they grow large they do start quite small.
    125G in wall
    2 x 250 hqi
    4 x 4' actinics
    tunze wavemaker & 6060
    2 x 1200 maxi's
    quiet one 3000

...just started of course

One day my daughter asked me for Nemo. Here we are thousands later and I'm just getting started.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast