Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Live Shrimps for Aquaria Canada

Question for Ivan,

Is it possible to start carrying live shrimps (saltwater), i've seen them on several site and appear to be a great feed for seahorses and picky saltwater preds, not to mention butterflies etc.

i've seen a couple of species availiable, evidentally easy to cultivate and easy to keep.

whtie shrimps, volcanic shrimps, etc..

I've got mysis shrimp in my tank. Fish seem to like 'em.

Hank.

ijo
    I'll look into it Ricepicker... thanks for the heads up.

IJO

hank you have live mysis? where did you get them? i'm mainly concerned about raising seahorses, theres a stage wehre they get to that they don't get the right size food. mysis too big, full grown brine not enough nutrients, baby brine too small, rotifers not enough in quantity... etc...

Pods and rocks and mysis, oh my!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricepicker
    hank you have live mysis?
    Yes. They were hitchhikers. I'm not sure what they came in on but there are lots of them in my tank. I've also got lots of amphipods. There is actually a spot at the back of my tank (which separates my wet room/office from the great room) where you can see two large pods digging and fussing moving rocks around and digging in the aragonite between a rock and the back glass. They are raising a little pod family and we can see the little babies scrambling around in the nest.

Here's three pictures. pods.jpg shows the mommy and daddy pod (the babies are too small to see.) pod carrying a rock.jpg shows the daddy pod busy carying rocks and tossing them out of the nest. mysis.jpg shows one of my mysis shrimp. They are everywhere in the tank. At night when I shine in my blue LED flashlight I can see them swimming in and out of the empty hermit shells and in all the holes in the base rock.

Now all I need is some frags and I'll be all set!

Hank.

wow craziness, if u breed more can i have some? i live in Kingston, i would love to raise some amphipod and mysis

Quote Originally Posted by Ricepicker
    wow craziness, if u breed more can i have some? i live in Kingston, i would love to raise some amphipod and mysis
    I don't breed them, they breed themselves. Are you sure you don't already have amphipods? You ever look in your aquarium at night with a flashlight? It's amazing what comes out at night that you had no idea was there.

If you want some mysis I can try to capture some and give them to you. Amphipods too but they are probably already in your tank. Maybe I should take some out and put them in a tank of green water and see what happens. I hear that Ivan can get nannochloropsis disks. I should probably pick one of those up when I get him to order rotifers for my clowns.

I could take up small scale mysis farming!

Hank.

actually, most mature tanks especially with refugiums will have them. there small and swim back and forth in a little dark spot. I see them all the time.thats probally what my pipe fish has ben eating for the past 6 months.

Wow IJO if you can get live ghost shrimps and Volcanic shrimps I would definitely buy some in the near futur!
    Carol
    Can we fit one more tank? :P
    Dont mind my spelling mistakes I've got an excuse...I'M FRENCH!

ahh see i don't sump, so majority of anything is probably eaten by my fish as soon as they're spotted lol

i'm sure i have some amphipods, but i have seen any thing that looks like "scuds" (a fresh water amphipod, that incidentally, looks exactly like the saltwater version)

i wanna try to grow mysis

i enjoying doing little projects like this and learn about the creature.

one day i'll breed bristle worms! wait, no... i'm alrdy doing that... :biglaugh2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast