GSM

GSM's new 65g Tank and Stand

Hi Everyone,

I need some advice. I've just finished framing a stand I'll be using for a 65g (48x18x18) tank that I'm converting from FW to SW (I don't like the stand the tank is currently on)

Before I finish covering it I want to know if any of you have sealed the frame or inside cabinet prior to setup?

Basic 2x4 construction (similar to one Dark had posted for his 90g I believe).

I'll have a 40g sump hidden inside the cabinet.

I'm thinking of coating the inside with somthing like Thompson's water seal.

Thanks,

Greg

I don't know how resistant Thompson's is. I used 3 coats of wipe on polyurethane on my last stand and when my kalk reactor overflowed it discoloured the stand. You might even think about Marine varnish.

ToX
    I just primed the interior ( its a sealer)

I used white/black "rustolum"(sp) to paint my wood stands(inside and out). I think it may also be called Painters Touch. Great stuff cause it spreads easy and has a nice shine and salt spray will not affect it.

Go to a paint store and ask for epoxy paint. It's expensive, but it's impervious to saltwater, and just about any chemical you can think of. It is also mold resistant and super easy to clean. They use it for painting walls and ceilings in clean room research labs.

Another great product along the same lines is Noxide Plus by rustoleum - it does virtually the same thing as the epoxy, but is cheaper.

GSM
    Thanks Guys,

I finished skinning the stand yesterday - amazing how warped 2x4's can be (even if when they look straight!). Home Depot's panel saw cuts were also off quite a bit. I've now mastered using a plane! (Wish I mastered it before I started!):speedbana

I'll take a trip to pickup some paint for the inside today. I'll be staining the outside once I finish the trim.

Cheers,

Greg

GSM
    I finally found the time to finish the doors and stain/seal the stand. Here it is, I hope you like it.

Yeah, very nice looking!!! I like the colour.
    180g AGA inwall W/ 2 overflows W/ 205g sump 20g fuge, 77g W/ 30g sump 12g fuge w/mag 9.5 pump.

Very nice stand, great job! :thumb:

GSM
    Thanks.

It's made with Oak and has a cherry stain. Corners are concave 1/4 round.

I modified my original design to accomodate my 75g (48x20x18) and could easily adjust the trim to fit a 90g (48x24x18).

The overflow box etc will all be on the left side of the tank - connected through the side cabinet to the sump below. There is enough room above the tank for future MH lights and any plumbing I want to run.

I took a few shots along the way - can post these as well if anyone is interested.

Here are a few more shots with the doors open and the hidden sump panel removed (so I can slide in a sump up to15 wide and 20 tall).

Now to come up with the $ to actually setup the s/w tank. :help: