Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My first marine tank...

Hi, i finally finished my setup... my first tank... mostly for fun and a good learning experiance...

its 16 Gal, with coralife SS which works great. Mag 3.5 for return, extra maxijet 400 for more flow. about 15 lbs of live rock all together, want to ad a bit more.

drilled tank myself... it was not fun... piping and all that stuff, many trips to home depot, rona and preston hardware...
    used a 10 gal for sump... over all it was a good learning experiance and kept me busy...

so far 2 nemo from ivan! very hardy fishes... been through a lot haha
    and lots of cleaning crew including 5 Astrea Snails, 5 Cerith Snails, 5 Margarita Snails, about dozen blue and red legged hermit crabs..

want to get a cleaner shrimp and a yellow clown goby, frog spawn and something else, not sure yet.. hopefully soon.

now for my problem.... huge break out of cyno bactaria.. been doing water changes, and id even blast it with turkey baster and catch most of it with net... just keeps on coming back...

Post Cyano...

How many times do you feed your fishes ? what quantity and what brand of food ? Is The Skimmer working well ?

doesn't look bad at all... get more liverock and covert tha sump into a fuge and pretty soon u'll be getting corals!

skimmer is skimming i guess making lots of yucky stuff....
    food i feed cyclop-eeze.. for the first month i over fed... pretty much every other day... just a small pinch... now i feed them maybe 2ce a week... or ever 4 days maybe..

If you dont have any coral, reduce the ligh cuz cyano well feed itself with waste and light... If you turn off the ligh for a couple of days or reduce it to 1-2-3 hours max a day you will see it will disapear and the skimmer will take out all the bad organic waste in the tank that cause this bacteria.

yeah i find at night, when i turn off light few hours it will go away a bit... but come right back in the morning from lights by windows etc... but ill try that. thanks!

Very nice start!!!
    180g AGA inwall W/ 2 overflows W/ 205g sump 20g fuge, 77g W/ 30g sump 12g fuge w/mag 9.5 pump.

you could also check your phosphates. Too high and you'll have algae blooms. How old is the system? It looks pretty new so I wouldn't worry about it. Algae is a normal part of a new set-up. Give it some time. Oh and blasting it will probably make it worse because your only spreading it. I'd say just give it some time.
    Cheers
    oh and great looking set-up.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

i dont have a phosphate test kit but my nitrates are still high... around 20-30 range...

has anyone tried using the de*nitrate filter media?
    http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/s...ct_ID=sc-dnit1

don't bother with the phosphate test kit unless your going to get a really good one. the amount of phosphate need to have a bloom won't register on most test kits ( or it might but our eyes aren't good enough to pick it out ). i don't see any macro algae in your sump, adding some chaeto will help to export nutrients. you could do some water changes to help reduce them too.

how long has the tank been running?

you need to find the source of the phosphates, what water are you using for top up?
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast