Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

I'm thinking about selling!

I can't take it anymore! It has been a year and a half. I can't seem to control the hair algae! (35g, 25lbs LR, snails, crabs, 1 royal gramma, 1 perc, 1 6 line wrasse, 1 blue cheek goby, 1 yellow clown goby, 1 feather duster, 1 emerald crab...although he is red, 1 brittle star, and 1 tuxedo urchin). I believe that I don't have the time or the patience to do this anymore. With hubby in Afghanistan, me full-time in Pharmacy at the U of M, and the kids driving me crazy, I just can't get everything done. With the new puppy on the way, I think I should give up on the fish! How do I go about it doing so???

What about turning the light off for a couple of days ? You dont have nothing in your thank that needs light so the hair algae is feading on it ! Reduce light or turn it off for couple days...

I watched a video of some guys beautiful tank, where he spoke of having a problem with hair algae for a while. He said he upgraded to a better pump for higher flow, and that he got some kind of a phosban reactor to bring his phosphates down, and then his hair algae was no longer a problem.

Will the fish get pissed at me? What about feeding, will they still feed if there is no light? I will definitely give it a try! I know that phosphates are the problem and I've tried some sand like material in the filter unit (yes I know this is a problem too) and it didn't seem to trap the phosphates. I'm concerned about dropping more money into a system that maybe I don't have the energy or the drive to keep up anymore.

Jsut turn on the light for maybe max 2-3 hours a day and feed them during that time, give it a try

Ok, will do!

i have the same problem too until i got a benny. they are really good at cleaning alga and much faster then turbo snail.

If the hair algae is still a prob because of phos then you could get some xenia either pulsng or silver branching which feed on phosphate. They will gradually reduce it and they don't need a huge amount of light.
    Its the early bird that gets the worm, but its the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by LonRung
    i have the same problem too until i got a benny. they are really good at cleaning alga and much faster then turbo snail.
    I will purchase a blenny on the weekend and see how that goes. If not then I will try the xenia!

Thank-you for the suggestions. I don't want to give up the system...it has been running for 1 1/2 years and the only losses I've had (besides snails) were due to carpet surfing...my poor hawk fish liked it better on the outside!

What curred my hair algae was a sea hare. They have a voracious appetite for hair algae. Mine was completely gone in a couple of weeks. It's amazing how fast and how much of the stuff they can eat.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast