Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ToX

Starting a New Tank

Well it's time for me to start a new tank :speedbana :speedbana :speedbana . It will either be a 125g or a 180g (both 6ft tank) I haven't checked the price yet and I don't know if the 180 will fit in my new condo in Montréal. I really want to do this tank right. My 75g is okay but I want to do this one better. First of all, my 75g will become my new sump underneath. I was thinking of putting either a asm-g4x or a asm-g5 for the skimmer. I know this time my stank will be higher, 40" instead of 30" so I have more room for the skimmer. I still don't know if I should build the stand out of 2x4 or steel frame. I will also go with 2 tunzes (6000 or 6100). For the lights, I will be using my 2 250W MH and one more plus 2 72in actinics. Will also be doing the lumenarc DIY reflectors. That's all I have for now. Any inputs?

I think it's going to be awesome!! Thats the wonderful thing about starting a new tank. You learn from the old one!! Make sure you take lots of pictures!! I can't wait to see the reflectors. Do you have any websites on how to make them? I'd love to make them for my tank. I'm a metal fab guy so access to a metal brake is no probelm. I think I seen a thread on RC about them. Congrats!!!
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

ToX
    thanks

building a tank is what's fun hehe

here is the link for the reflectors and where I got it from on RC

http://home.golden.net/~tscott/Reflector.dwg

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hreadid=621348

ToX
    ok so today I had nothing to do so I decide to do my stand on my computer (CATIA), I did everything except the door panels. It weights exactly 72.08kg for now. what do you think???

I'd try cut it down to an even 72 kg.

I assume the 75 (sump) will fit through an end? As I suspect it won't slide in between the uprights alone the front and back. You might want to account for that as you layout and finish your sump layout. It is entirely possible you will need to replace the sump at some time.

Will you have your tank bottom drilled or back drilled? That too can affect your stand design.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

I was thinking the same thing. When I was building mine I didn't take that into account about the sump. All the same I think I could cut my center brace out with ill effect. (2" angle iron all around for a 75 gallon. Way overkill but i'm a welder so it didn't matter much.) I would definitely change the front a little. Just to make it a little easier to get in and out of the sump. Going to be great thou. Can't wait to see some more progression.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

ToX
    there is going to be a door panel on one of the ends to insert the sump, this tank this going to be 3 side viewable, one of the side will be on the wall... the overflow will be at one end that is not viewable. It's going to be a room separator. Now for the drilling part, I would like my tank to be bottom drilled. Do you guys know of a company that sells 180g that are not bottom tempered???Or do I have to order it from a custom builder???

I don't know one off hand. I do know that if only pane is tempered, it tends to be the bottom. Especially on a tank this size. You should consider getting it custom made. That way it can be drilled where you want and tempered.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

The bottom is tempered for good reason. And with a tank that size, if you could get one that isn't tempered on the bottom, I don't know if they'd offer much of a warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by ToX
    ok so today I had nothing to do so I decide to do my stand on my computer (CATIA), I did everything except the door panels. It weights exactly 72.08kg for now. what do you think???

Hi Tox, I have a 125G that I need to build the frame of the stand. Can I use your design? What software did you use? Could you send me the file of you're stand? The only difference I would make to it is at the bottom where the plywood is over the 2X4 braces, I would put the plywood under the 2X and seal it to be leakproof in case of a flood. Nice work.
    55G CSS 3004, 2 Seio 620, 220WT5HO lighting, Yellow tang, yellow tail damsel, 2 clownfish, 1 shrimp, pulsing, soft corals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast