Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My 40G Breeder

My 40G Breeder

Hi Everyone,

Well I did it. I purchased a new tank! It's a 40 Gallon breeder (36X18X16). I wanted to keep the height lower so that I could get away with less lighting.

First a little info on what I'm trying to setup. I will be drilling the tank near the bottom middle and building an overflow box out of black acrylic (or plexi whatever you want to call it). This will lead water from the tank to a 15G aga sump. I have not yet decided how I will divide the sump. I will be pumping water back to the tank using a Mag pump. Return plumbing will be 3/4". The return will be T'ed one going right and one going left. I will hook both returns up to a 3/4" sea swirl (or reef rat if they are still available) for some amazing water movement.

I have a few things I'd like to get peoples opinions on

1) I've never really looked into skimmers but I want one for this setup. I'm looking for an efficient in-sump skimmer rated for 60-90G. What would you suggest? The footprint couldn't be too large as the sump is not the biggest thing in the world. Also the less maintenance possible the better.

2) I plan on going with a 1" hole for the overflow to the sump. This will be located near the bottom of the tank and the overflow box will be the height of the tank. I plan on having a durso standpipe in this overflow box to reduce noise. My question: How much flow can a setup of this kind take? I'm currently looking at setting up this system with a Mag 9 at about 3 feet lower than the tank. There will likely be some reduction in flow due to plumbing. Would a Mag 9 be overkill? Could this overflow accommodate this much flow?

3) Lighting is still up in the air. I'm really interested in T5 lighting because it takes up less power and generates less heat than MH. I've been looking at the Tek Light 3 Ft 6 Lamp fixture. Any thoughts on this fixture? I haven't ruled out metal halide though but I don't want to DIY. If I went with MH I'd probably go with 1 X 250W. Could anyone suggest a good fixture or pendant?

4) Any other comments / suggestions appreciated!

Thanks,

Steph

Quote Originally Posted by StephG View Post
    2) I plan on going with a 1" hole for the overflow to the sump. This will be located near the bottom of the tank and the overflow box will be the height of the tank. I plan on having a durso standpipe in this overflow box to reduce noise. My question: How much flow can a setup of this kind take? I'm currently looking at setting up this system with a Mag 9 at about 3 feet lower than the tank. There will likely be some reduction in flow due to plumbing. Would a Mag 9 be overkill? Could this overflow accommodate this much flow?
    According to the RC calculators the pump would produce about 650gph (assuming 3' vertical rise, 4 fittings) which means you should have a 1.05" fitting. 650gph through a 15g sump will be overkill as the water will be moving way to fast for stuff to settle out. You could make the mag9 into a closed loop and use a smaller pump to run the overflow.

3) Lighting is still up in the air. I'm really interested in T5 lighting because it takes up less power and generates less heat than MH. I've been looking at the Tek Light 3 Ft 6 Lamp fixture. Any thoughts on this fixture? I haven't ruled out metal halide though but I don't want to DIY. If I went with MH I'd probably go with 1 X 250W. Could anyone suggest a good fixture or pendant?
    I cannot commen on this fixture but can highly recommend the T5's overall. I am very happy with mine. If you are planning on a hood there is also the sunlight New Wave that is much less expensive. I went DIY with an IceCap setup (48" 6lamp) and an AquaKits (24" 4lamp) and am happy with both.

Good luck with the new setup. My favourite part is the planning and setup.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

Quote Originally Posted by ShipWreck View Post
    According to the RC calculators the pump would produce about 650gph (assuming 3' vertical rise, 4 fittings) which means you should have a 1.05" fitting. 650gph through a 15g sump will be overkill as the water will be moving way to fast for stuff to settle out. You could make the mag9 into a closed loop and use a smaller pump to run the overflow.
    Well that's not enough flow. I think I'll go with a Mag 12 and upgrade the sump to a 20L. The reason for the sump is the skimmer. I got a Euro-Reef RS80 that needs to sit in sump.

I cannot commen on this fixture but can highly recommend the T5's overall. I am very happy with mine. If you are planning on a hood there is also the sunlight New Wave that is much less expensive. I went DIY with an IceCap setup (48" 6lamp) and an AquaKits (24" 4lamp) and am happy with both.
    Great! I am going to go with T5's. I've read good things about the Tek fixture. 216 Watts will be bright

Good luck with the new setup. My favourite part is the planning and setup.
    Thanks! I know ... I really love the planning stages too. It's nice to have a mature tank too but planning is really fun!

Well that's not enough flow. I think I'll go with a Mag 12 and upgrade the sump to a 20L. The reason for the sump is the skimmer. I got a Euro-Reef RS80 that needs to sit in sump.
    I would recommend go smaller with the pump not larger. You want a slower flow through the sump to allow the solids to settle there and bubbles time to rise to the surface. With a Mag 9 in the 15g sump you would have a 43 times turnover rate.

I would suggest more in the range of 5-10 times at the most through the sump or even slower. You really only need to match the flow rate of the skimmer to keep new water moving to it. In the display is where you want the higher flow rates to keep the crap (I mean fish poop) suspended so that it can go down to the sump.
    Rob
    -----

Quote Originally Posted by ShipWreck View Post
    I would recommend go smaller with the pump not larger. You want a slower flow through the sump to allow the solids to settle there and bubbles time to rise to the surface. With a Mag 9 in the 15g sump you would have a 43 times turnover rate.

I would suggest more in the range of 5-10 times at the most through the sump or even slower. You really only need to match the flow rate of the skimmer to keep new water moving to it. In the display is where you want the higher flow rates to keep the crap (I mean fish poop) suspended so that it can go down to the sump.
    Only problem with that is that I don't want any visible pumps in the display. I want the two sea swirls hooked up to the return pump and that's it. I'll try to build the sump with as many baffles as I can to get rid of the bubbles. I'll also have a massive ball of cheato and live rock down there to filter the crap and get rid of any bubbles the baffles couldn't catch.

You've given me some food for thought though ... thanks a lot!

Only problem with that is that I don't want any visible pumps in the display. I want the two sea swirls hooked up to the return pump and that's it.
    Thats why we use a closed loop setup. You just put a second bulkhead in the back of the tank usually up at least 6" from the bottom, and connect this line to the inlet of the pump, hidden away under the tank in the stand. You then take the outlet of the pump up and tee it off to you two seaswirls.

Since no water actualy leaves this circuit there is very minimal head pressure (really only the distance from the bulkhead up to the top of the tank) you get maximum flow out of your pump.

For your return pump (the one sending water over the weir through the sump) just bring its return line up and over the back of the tank.

Just remember to use a screen on the bulkhead for the closed loop so no fish find their way down and make sushi for the rest of the inhabitants.:b1:
    Rob
    -----

Well I received my new light fixture and went to Marinescape to pick up some T5 bulbs.

The fixture is a Sunlight Supply 36" Tek Light T5 Fixture - 6-Bulb 6 x 39W.

Really like it. It generates more heat that I thought it would though so I may have to setup a fan. I will have a high turnover rate in the tank though so I'm hoping that will help.

Piked up 3 Actinic and 3 Daylight T5s. It gives me a pretty blue look so I may end up swapping an actinic for a daylight ... we'll see when there's water / rocks / corals in the tank

So here's a few pics

Just the tank and stand

Tank with light fixture - Actinics only

Tank with light fixture - Daylight and Actinic

Getting the tank drilled soon. Will be ordering Sea Swirls in the next couple of weeks. I'll also be painting the back of the tank black.

Keep an eye open for more pics

ijo
    looking good!!! What brand of T5's did you go with?

Do you still have your nano up and running or are you looking to move everything to this new setup?

Any reason for the back being painted black? If I had the chance(I don't since the wall aquarium is full and bolted to the wall) I would of painted the back a dark blue.

IJO

Hey Ivan,

Thanks for the comments. I went with the ARC T5s. Couldn't resist the price and I remember reading a review here that raved about them. So far so good

My nano is still up and running and doing fine. It's still at my parents place. I moved in to my new house in March and didn't want to stress my animals and corals so I decided to leave the tank as is at my parents until I have the new tank running. Whenever I'm done buliding the new tank and my rock is cycled I'll be bringing them over.

Man I remember when I started in this hobby and everyone was telling me to go with minimum a 50 Gallon ... well 10G is going on 2 years now and it's still very healthy

Dark blue could work I just find that black makes for better contrast against the corals in the front. Blue is pretty nice though ... so tuff to decide

Liv agreed to drill the tank so I'll be getting that done soon. Still a few pieces of equipment to buy and most of the plumbing but it's coming along.

You may want to look into getting a different pump. Mag's are known to have issues.
    You only do what you know because you don't know better.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast