Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

My new tank to be...

I am moving to a bigger tank after running my 37 gallon for 4 months. I'll be updating my tank pictures as I move along. But for starters here is my empty tank positioned in the right place. i have provided 8" clearance from the wall to have easy access to the back of the tank for cleaning etc. There is a heat outlet behind the tank (just in case I get crazy and want to have a sump in the basement)
    http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s....php?photo=397

Well my skimmer arrived yesterday, looks too small but will keep you posted on the performance, I may prefer to run 3 skimmers of smaller size than to buy one big unit. This will go in my sump (my current tank).

I am going to be using 2 of my E-Ballast and 250 watts 14000K bulbs to start with, hopefully this week I'll get my canopy (with reflectors mounted inside, Harley is building it for me, will get some pics soon, hope he stops drinking beer while working on my canopy).

I have about 40 lbs of liverock in my current tank which I plan to keep in the sump along with the 4" DSB. I'll have 4 NO 20 watts fluroescents and one 65 watts CF for my sump. It is more like a second tank connected in series but out of sight.

I will be adding say 50 - 70 lbs of liverock for this main tank with 2" CC Substrate. I am thinking KANAI liverock, is this rock good ?( I decided to go for a denser rock so that I can have my rocks in the center of the tank and give 4" clearance on all sides.

I am getting 2 MAG 9.5s for my overflow and return. May be an over kill. With SQUID for the return line.

I hope I'll be all set in a few weeks...( My gift to my wife ( saw this on the list of top 10 ways to keep the wiffy happy about the hobby).

Venki

sounds good. the only thing i'd question is putting the tank infront of the window. will the natural sunlight be a problem with algea growth?

or will the cops be stoping by to see if you are growing something instead of fishkeeping?
    Barry

Patience is a virtue.

I am going to be covering the back of the tank with a backdrop, the sides will not receive any direct sunlight. And my shades are up only afterhours. So algae shouldn't be a problem I hope.

The cops aspect was funny, didn't cross my mind. They are welcome if they have a search warrant.

venki

looks like a very nice tank! why 2x MAG 9.5? save your coin and get 1x MAG 12 and just T it off to 2 returns. Thats all I did
    for my 90g and thats what most do. Saves cash and hydro.If you want to drop by and take another look at my tank to see how I plumbed it your more than welcome.

Hi Johnny,

The second pump is for the the drain. My tank is not drilled, I know it is kind of crazy, but trying to do anything to save my carpets from getting wet again.

Venki

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Venki,

What do you mean that the second pump is for the drain? I hope you don't plan to pump water down to a sump since you tank is not drilled...

This is a definate flood situation. Pumping downwards to a sump is more flow than pumping upwards to a tank. Even when using same model pumps. You have to take head loss and gravity into consideration. Let alone what would happen in the event of a power loss...
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

tang_man,

I have an overflow chamber and the pump will be draining from this chamber, in the event of a power loss water in the overflow chamber will be drained shouldn't cause a flood.

I will be adding resistance to the flow of water on the pump that is aided by gravity to balance the flow on both pumps.

I was more concerned about the water from the sump 37 gal flooding my main tank (72 gal) in the event of the break in siphon due to power outage, when the power comes back on.

Venki

VENKI

DO NOT DO THIS! I can't stress this anymore my friend. That is absolutly not the way to plumb a tank. You will have a flood for sure and/or a pump burnt out because it ran dry and this may cause a fire! were did you get that idea? You say you have an overflow box. is it hang on? theres other/betterways] to do this! Do not run 2 pumps aginst each other. You may add resistand to the pump[pumps hate this] but that resistance will change fast to to micro algea growth inside your pipes,pumps and a bunch of other things. DRILL YOUR TANK! It's empty now and won't cost more than $20 to drill. I can send you to the glass place that does mine. Do it right or you will regret it very fast! I had harley build me a overflow box for like a mear $40 and drilled my tank for $20. TOTAL $60 for a reefready. What if the power goes out and then back on when your not home and a pump decides not to start[it happens all the time] with one pump running you'll have a disaster.

Johnny,

Do you know if the Oceanic Bowfront Sides are made of tempered as well?, I assumed this because the glass is only 5mm in thickness.

If it is not tempered, I would definitely get it drilled at the back. Harley is building me a overflow out of the left over material from my canopy.

oceanic

You should contact OCEANIC asap. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be tempered on the side panels but 5mm is thin. there is another way if you use a hangon overflow but you need to buy the good ones. First contact Oceanic because if its not tempered then your laughing.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast