Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thinking of building a 233 gal tank..

Well the everlasting house renos are coming to a stage of framing basement walls so this is where a decision gets made about size of future tank and size of tank room

So Im thinking a 233 gallon, 60"x30"x30".

External coast to coast overlow.

Im going to make it myself using good old glass

Still dont know what thickness to use. Probably 5/8" or 3/4 thick.

I plan on having eurobracing around top and bottom.

I wont be chinsing on the bracing because I want to run a wavebox in there (I hear they can weaken a tank) also I want to try and fabricate a surge system...

I have my old 75 gallon for a sump.

Now its time to shop for glass..

Many small details ahead. Please feel free to help me in this endeavour by adding suggestions.

This is going to be soo fun!!!
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

liv
    cool stuff!
    i'd go 3/4" glass everywhere.
    I braced both bottom and top 6" for the top and huge pieces for the bottom ( my craps from my cuttings ).

I think you got a great size picked out.. that 60x30x30 will look real wide and will give you plenty of spots to landscape.

can't wait to see some pics of this tank !

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

i was starting to get worried, glad your starting a new one :b2:
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Go with low-iron glass, for the extra 25-30% in glass cost, it is worth every penny.

I’m looking to start a new tank to, same dimension’s 60”30”30”. With coast to coast over flow! My project will start when I move to New Brunswick in July...finally after 18 years in Petawawa the military is posting me..
    I’ll look forward to seeing your plan. I’m not very handy to build my own tank and I don’t want to risk of 233gal water leak in my house....lol
    I would appreciate any advise on light, flow, pump......
    Kevin

Thanks Liv! I appreciate your word on this. Glad you like the dimentions. Is your tank 3/4"? I admit I was hoping on going with a smaller bracing like 4" for the front and sides (back euro brace will be the bottom of coast to coast overflow, so about 6 or 7 inches)
    Is that a terrible idea?
    maybe I could double up for front and sides?

Im going to go with somewhat minimal rocks and let the sps fill the rest...

Howdie Mr 4twen! The nightmare reno has kept me away for a while but Im back with the plans for my dream tank! Unfortunatly most of the live stock I had at a friends place died from complications with a power outage:b1: Thankfully some of my prized acros made it!!:b2:

Hi 220g, Low iron glass eh!? To be honest I wasnt going to go with it but maybe theres something Im missing out on?.. Is the difference only with color? Please help me by elaborating on the subject so I can make up my mind? Maybe I could put it on sides and front as they are most viewed and go with noramal for the back?...

Kevin, good luck on your project! Soo much fun
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

liv
    well.. for the coloration, the starphire or optiwhite or other name brands of low iron glass all do the same thing.. they remove quite a bit of that green tint. I didn't pick it up for 2 reasons, at the time, I could not find a supplier for 3/4" glass and I heard from quite a few folks that it scratched much easier. ( still remains glass which is pretty hard to scratch )... I'd say go for it.. but be carefull while building it that you do not scratch it or when you are cleaning the glass.

I went 3/4" for the piece of mind.. I'd seen some 1/2" tempered starphire work up to 36" high.. buts its @#!$$ scary !!.. i can't stand to see glass bow that much.

as for the brace, I went 6" again for overkill.. But 4" wide 3/4" stuff would be awesome too. your coast to cost.. again, I would suggest a nice thinkness like 3/4" why ?? cauz you will be plumbing this with very tight fittings and will be prone to traffic, you wouldn't want to lean on it my mistake and have it crack on you.. that little extra cost now.. piece of mine

so, use starphire on the viewable panes.. rest, regular float glass will do fine.
    get your pieces CUT, not snapped. also make sure they garranty the dimensions.. ( aquarium panes can't be off by 1/4"

From your experience what is the pro and con on Acrylic? I’m thinking of going Acrylic! I know it scratches easy but can be repaired with little bit of hard work. In addition, do you know if there is a manufacture in ON or Eastern Canada that build Acrylic tank 60”30”30” with coast to coast over flow that delivers? I purpose same question for glass. I would appreciate your thoughts on this.
    Thanks
    Kevin.

liv
    I'm not a fan at all of acrylic for tanks.
    for sumps its awesome.

they scratch way too easily for me, I like low maintenance.. being able to remove the coraline with a blade, not having to buff the tank. I've seen quite a few people purchase acrylic only to take it down, use it as a sump and get a glass tank built.

I believe its a taste thing.... I just hate trying to buff acrylic ( which i've done plenty of in the past ).

get glass and don't look back is my 0.02cents
    if you are worried about the color, get starphire.

Appreciate your opinion and your experience I believe the acrylic easily scratches, at this time I am leaning 90% towards a glass tank. Where is a good place that builds custom tanks from glass and has a reasonable delivery rate ad stands behid their product?
    Kevin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast