Thread: New to forum!

New to forum!

ok here is my dismal tank! major algae problems as you can see. Its only a 20g tank!, im so glad to have found another local fish store.! recently i was just going to marinescape here in ottawa.. now i found this place! my gosh.. thanks for that!

here is tank

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Nice tank you have there... and let me be the first to say...

I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

That algae doesn't look so bad. Why don't you write back and tell us about your tank and we'll try to make some suggestions to help.
    Susan

welp just got home from getting my water tested.. and well the saliniyt was 1.029! no wonder all snails died / star/ cucumber / clam! (samosa) .. uggh i feel sooo bad.. my tank is 2 x 55 watt pc 10k/actnic.. 20g high with roughly 20lbs live rock.. 2" sand bed.. crushed aragonite.. umm i feed daily with flake food.. 3 fish.. 1 true perc.. 1 false tank raised perc, 1 royal gamma. Corals are bubble, torch, half dead mushroom, green star xenia.. thats all ive got left in my tank!.

I was doing weekly water changes but i am gonna do monthly now.. and ive purchased some activated carbon to help remove nasties/odor from water.. i got tons of hair algae i keep removing.. i gotta get my sailinity down before replacing cleaner crew.. this time. im gonna get a assortment of snails.. all i had before was astrea snails.. about 10 .. still have some blues / red hermits left and a green emerald left.

thanks!

Dodder
    :guns:

Don't drop your salinity too fast, sometimes a big change can be worse than the problem you're trying to solve. Are you replacing evaporated water with fresh water? That will help keep your salinity in check.

You should consider buying a nitrate test kit and something to measure salinity yourself. High nitrates could be feeding the hair algae.

How long has your tank been set up? What are you using for filtration?
    Susan

I agree with Flame Angle... the salinity likely crept up slowly over a long period of time so do not correct it too quickly. As for the tank .. Hey there's fish alive in there so that's a very good start!!!
    Rob

yes.. i have a seatest salinity meter.. just was testing my water at the store because they use digital thats all.. i have nitrates test kits too.. yeah i wasnt replacing evap with fresh water.. i was doing a water change lol.. so now im backing to 1 month change or every 2 months change.. ive added some carbon to my tank and my gosh! the water is crystal clear... now.. crazy.. my bubble coral is glistening

Now that is not bad algae, you should have seen some of my cyano blooms.