Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My 40G Display 80G sump system

Hey everyone,
    I have been on this forum for a bit I thought it was time to show you my tank. It has been running for about 11 months and there have been many changes to it.

I will not go into allot of detail about my initial build but you can read it here
    http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...readid=1313479
    or here
    http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=24393.0

Everything was going well until about 2 months ago while fiddling with some of the electrical stuff around my tank I managed to hit my sump with my elbow and crack it.

I decided this is a sign that it was time for a upgrade to the sump. It was getting a little crowed in the sump with my auto top off, return pump, skimmer and probes all taking up space. So the best solution was to connect the display to a sump down in my basement. I already had a small frag tank down there with a garbage can sump.

After building the 2x4 stand using 2x4 and 2x6. I started to acquire tanks for the sump my first tank I got was a 40G breeder a really nice size but it had a few problems the bottom pain was cracked and had 2 3/4" holes drilled in the bottom (I thought I could drill these out to 2.5" holes). Then acquired a 50G Hagen tank (36x16x20) it was a nice beefy tank with 3/8 glass and a 30G Breeder (30x18x12). I also had a standard 10G tank and 12G cube tank (16x16x12) lying around.

With all theses tank I was going to have to make a choice on what ones to use. I decided I would not risk using the 40G tank as I do not want to come home one day to +40G of salt water on my basement floor. So now I had a few different tank configurations I could go with. Now I just had to wait for my skimmer to come in to see where it would fit.
    After a few weeks I got my skimmer The Reef Octopus Extreme 200 from Ottawa Inverts.

I decided on a system similar to diagram the diagram with the 30G on top and the 50G on the bottom. This would allow for the best volume and easy access to the equipment. I would also use the 10G tank for my top off water.

I now started gathering supplies for the tank.

Sequence Dart
    40 feet of 1 spaw flex
    20 feet of 1 spaw flex
    Bulkheads and lots of other fittings
    Vortech MP40w
    Acrylic
    Acrylic cutting blade for a table saw
    Silicone
    A few trips to Ottawa Inverts, BWI Plumbing and Home Depot I had everything.

I also needed to get 4 holes drilled in the tanks. 2 holes in the bottom for the drains in the 30G frag/equipment tank and 2 holes on the side of the 50G for the return pump.

I contacted a local guy to drill my tanks but he was unavailable to drill the tanks that week. I was really eager to get this done, so I thought, how hard could drilling a tank be? I watched him do it on my display and it did not look all that hard? I decided to order a glass drill bit and watched all the videos on utube of people drilling there tanks. That weekend I practiced on my old cracked 10G tank. First I cracked the tank 2 twice without even getting a hole started then I did 2 more but cracked the tank at the very end. The last hole I did I did not crack the tank. I did not think that 1/5 was a good ratio :'( so later that week I contacted him again about drilling the tank but he was still unavailable to drill. But I found out what I was doing wrong:

1. 10G tanks have very thin glass and it cracks easily,
    2. You have to be at least 4 away from the edge of the glass (Read: 10G tanks are hard to drill!)

I figured I only paid $20 for the 30G tank so I would not be out that much if I cracked it. So I tried once again to drill the tank. I went slow, kept it wet and put no pressure on the drill and 1/2 hour later I had done it! I had drilled a perfect hole. Over the next 2 days I successfully drilled 3 more holes 8). My drill bit was getting really dull by the last one as it took over 1 hour to drill.

With the holes drilled everything came together quickly. I put the stand in place and lade the Drain and return lines under the floor. I finished the plumbing and installed the acrylic baffles in the sump.

I placed 1 baffle in the 30G tank to separate the Frag area and the equipment area. In the 50G tank I added a bubble trap between the refuge and the drain lines from the 30G (I am glad I did as there are a lot of micro bubbles in that section) and a baffle between the refuge and the return area.

With everything in place I did a leak test (excluding the lines that go upstairs) everything seemed ok. I then added about 30lb of sand to the refuge, 50lb of base rock to the refuge and return area (that I have been curing in a garbage can) and filled the sump with salt water.

I waited for a few days to get the parameters in the sump similar to my display tank. In the meantime I attached one drain line from my main tank to the basement sump (the other one was sill going to the bucket sump) and finished the return to the tank. Last weekend I started to merge the display tank with the basement sump by turning on the basement sump for 1h at a time (like doing a big water change) I did this several times over the weekend and by Sunday night It was running with the basement sump constantly.

Well the tank has been running now for 3 days with out any problems I have finished all my plumbing and took down the 5G bucket installed the reactors and the Auto Top off system. I only have a few things left to do:

1. Tidy up the electrical cords. I just got this to make my life easier:
    It is an power bar that you can control each socket individually.

2. Install Aquacontroller Jr connection cable from the basement to the display. The rep said it might work with 12 (it is rated for 10)

Sorry I have not added any photos yet. I do not have that many from the build but I have some nice before and after shots I will post up later today.

sounds very well thought out, looking forward to the pics :b16:

are you going to use kalk in the 10G top off??

that skimmer is gonna work awesome for, great choice.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

As promised here are the Before and after shots:

Before

This was my temporary sump I have been using for the last 2 months

This was my geto frag tank setup it consisted of a 12G tank and a 20G Garbage can Overflow box and Kent Skimmer (I never got it to work correctly). The only thing I have saved from this setup was the lights. (not the ones over the sump I fried that fixture by dropping it into the tank). You can also see my salt mixing and auto top off system with Kalk reactor for my main tank.

After:

Here is the complete setup

Top tanks & skimmer:

I have since removed the smaller skimmer from the system as it was not doing anything. I still have not seen any skimmate from my Extreme 200 but I believe it is still braking in.

Bottom tank and return pump:

Looks good. I enjoy these fancy setups. But lets just hope your furnace never needs any servicing. How much room do you have from the front door of it?
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

liv
    looking great!! somestimes I think I like looking at how it works more then the actual tank.. he he

How do you like the MP40w ? i've been thinking of getting a pair of these lately to add even more flow and that wave effect.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

I is really nice i had a pair of K2 in the tank and have replaced that with one MP40w and that is all i need for flow in my tank. I have it set on reef crest med/low right now but did manage to create a wave in my tank with the pulse mode but it was noisy and I was sort of shaking my tank with the wave :b2:.

liv
    he he.. nice !
    ya.. the more I read about it.. the more I want a pair!
    I agree.. one should be plenty in your setup !
    you got any pics of it installed ?

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Here are shots of the sump Tank:

Corals

Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    he he.. nice !
    ya.. the more I read about it.. the more I want a pair!
    I agree.. one should be plenty in your setup !
    you got any pics of it installed ?
    Here is a shot of it installed on my display tank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast