Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My 90

My 90

Well after tons of reserch and lots of head ache I finaly have my system going, I didnt take any pictures during the build as I was way into it and just never got into it so sorry for that, but I have a ton of finished product pictures so if you have any questions I 'll answer them the best I can, so here we go.

heres the sump, water enters the right side into skimmer, refug, the return, I also have a bubble trap on the far left where my second overflow flows into, as there was way to much flow through my refug, my water level is high, I turned off my system to see how much room I had in case of power failer, seems to be just enough.

I have a few more pictures here, I need some type of buffer/filter for my set up, I was short on room so I grabed a 10 gallon, drilled it added some crate and voila, filter, added a elbow from one of the overflows and into the filter, and the filter overflows into the skimmer area,

My liteing was driving me nuts, I was stuck between T5's and MH, I only wanted to make the right choice so I flipped and coin and went with T5's, Im glad I did the finish product was awesome, took me about an hour to wire up and hrad wired my fan to the lites so when the lights come on so does the fan,

This is what I ended up with,

very nice :b2:

you've been busy, hows the cycle going so far??

if you aren't seeing enough of an ammonia spike yet you may want to add a cocktail shrimp or other fish food to give it a boost.

you should have painted / sealed the inside of the cabinet as well, very humid in there and a perfect place for mold to grow, unfortunately i speak from experience :b1:

i see you don't have you're lines secured to the fittings. i stay away from SS clamps near the sump but use the large black nylon zip ties you can get a HD. the two you have on the pump are ok because they're lower than the sump so it's very unlikely rusted metal will find it's way into the system.

well done on drilling the 10G, the smaller the tank the harder it gets. you're going to have to swap out that filter material frequently to prevent it becoming a nitrate factory. we try to stay away any mechanical filtration in our systems or if used keep them clean.

make sure you have an anti syphon hole on your return plumbing to prevent a potential serious problem down the road.

you're off to a great start, keep us posted how things progress :b15:
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Yes I still have to give the inside a quick seal, I should have did it when nothing was in there but shouldnt take long with a brush, going to add zip ties to all fittings that have pressure on them, Im not worried about the overflow ones as there is no pressure on them, added a bit of fish food to get the cycle going but other then that its a waiting game now. Im not sure what you mean by anti syphon hole? can you explain a bit more? Thanks

Paul

so a syphon can't be created through your return pump and plumbing during a power failure, we drill a small hole ( ~1/8" ) in the return plumbing. the hole should be inside the tank, underwater when the system is running and above when off.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

liv
    Nice clean setup ! love it !!
    for your t5's, I can't see any reflector on top of them. Your tank would benefit like crazy from single reflectors. Even the clip ons that you simply snap on the t5's would be night and day ( if you have none right now )

I'm with A4 on the return, if you can, tap a small hole in the return line above the water and setup a tube that is barely under the surface of the water. When the pump stops, it will take just a few seconds to lower the tank's water enough to start taking air from that line and stop the syphon.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast