Rock up against glass??

Ok whats the deal....

I havent been on in a long time...but our tank has gone past the 2 and a 1/2 year mark and is going strong everything seems to be very happy with its habitat. Everything is in full bloom everyday and the coraline has almost taken over all our equipment and back wall (looks great)!

So my question to all of you is... What is the "rules" concerning putting rocks up against...say the back wall?

We are really happy with whats in the tank for now but would love to add much more LR. We have about 50lbs of LR in a 75 G.
    Oh one more question .....How close to the water level can the rocks go...and will things try to escape if it gets to high?

I think the main concern is dead spots in the flow allowing detritus to settle. It is hard to get circulation back there so any detritus tends to accumulate on th rock and sand bed, ultimately causing nutrient related problems.

It is possible to get flow there though. But hard with the conventional power heads.

Senior Member upthecreekwithoutapaddle's Avatar
    i agree with kennyfish
    also, if you need to get back there for any reason you will have to move rock and cause a big stir...as for the rock close to top i think no problem. even if it sticks out of the water. a lot of inverts will travel to the top...makes things interesting IMO.

I've been doing this for over 20 years and have always had rock piled against my back glass. There is no difference between rock touching glass at the back of your tank and rock touching other rock in your tank. You should spend time worrying about detritus piling up between the rocks in your tank before you give any thought to what might collect against your glass.

Hank.
    220G mixed reef main, 30 G (3 x 10) brood/grow-out, 25 G secondary, 6 G frag with shared sump

Return Pump: Iwaki MD55RLT
    Water Movement: Tunze Turbelle Stream 6060, 4 x MaxiJet 1200
    Lighting: 60" Outer Orbit dual 250 W 10k HQI and quad 48" T5HO Actinic
    Skimmer: Precision Marine Bullet-2 with Iwaki MD55RLT, WC610 waste collector, and gate valve

Experience: Fresh since 1976 - Marine since 1987

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/hank.carr

Carrhd, What have you used in order to keep detritus from accumulating?

In our tank we have 2 power heads (one at each end going in opposite directions), a wave maker (has stopped waving but still creates a current in the middle) a protein skimmer (to the rite) and a hang on filter (on the left).
    So if you can make sense of that *lol* there's a pretty good currentgoing on in the tank.
    So far we haven't had any detritus issues... Unless and invert goes a messes with the equipment :P Damn curius starfish we have!!

My major concern realy was for the tank its self... We do have a few peices that are against the back wall, I was just currious how much the tank can take?

Thanks for the replies we will have to get some curent running at the bottom of the tank maybe....any recomendations?

Quote Originally Posted by ReefMama View Post
    Carrhd, What have you used in order to keep detritus from accumulating?
    Detritus accumulates. If it isn't between the rocks and the glass it is between the rocks themselves. If not between the rocks then in the sand bed. Unless you have a system for removing detritus it is going to accumulate. Fortunately, the bugs in our tanks work to break down detritus until it cannot be broken down any further at which point it becomes harmless.

In our tank we have 2 power heads (one at each end going in opposite directions), a wave maker (has stopped waving but still creates a current in the middle) a protein skimmer (to the rite) and a hang on filter (on the left).
    So if you can make sense of that *lol* there's a pretty good currentgoing on in the tank.
    So far we haven't had any detritus issues... Unless and invert goes a messes with the equipment :P Damn curius starfish we have!!
    I've got a Tunze Turbelle and four MJ1200s that move my water around.

My major concern realy was for the tank its self... We do have a few peices that are against the back wall, I was just currious how much the tank can take?

Thanks for the replies we will have to get some curent running at the bottom of the tank maybe....any recomendations?
    My 90 gallon tank had the entire black glass covered by stacked rock. I've dropped quite large pieces against the glass both sides and bottom with no ill effect. I wouldn't suggest doing that. Most of the load of the rocks is downward. The component of the load flow that is against the glass is not significant. I would guess that in our tanks (in the under marine theme park scale) that rock loading on the glass isn't going to be dangerous.

Hank.
    220G mixed reef main, 30 G (3 x 10) brood/grow-out, 25 G secondary, 6 G frag with shared sump

Return Pump: Iwaki MD55RLT
    Water Movement: Tunze Turbelle Stream 6060, 4 x MaxiJet 1200
    Lighting: 60" Outer Orbit dual 250 W 10k HQI and quad 48" T5HO Actinic
    Skimmer: Precision Marine Bullet-2 with Iwaki MD55RLT, WC610 waste collector, and gate valve

Experience: Fresh since 1976 - Marine since 1987

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/hank.carr

Thank you so much for the feed back ! I think we are going to go get a few stronger power heads before we star adding more rock. Oh heck maybe both at the same time ! Something happens to me when i walk into the fish store! Even when we make a clear budget....we ALWAYS blow it !! Ha ha ha ha
    Thanks again!!